You have your CronusMAX PLUS and you're raring to go! But what's with all these instructions? Way too much reading for someone who wants to be gaming instead, right?
OK you got us, to get your CronusMAX PLUS working great you have to do a bit of reading as there is much to understand. This product can be as easy and as simple as you need it to be, or as complex and as advanced as you'd like it to be - it really depends on what you want to get out of it. You may want this awesome device just to simply use your favorite Xbox 360 or Xbox One Elite controller on a PS4, or you may want to use all of the awesome GamePacks that we have made available so your controller is converted into a fully modded war machine, or perhaps you're an advanced coder who wants to jump into the nitty-gritty world of GPC scripting. That's why we've designed this manual to cover EVERY POSSIBLE USER SCENARIO, so you may be a beginner looking at all this and wondering what you've gotten yourself into. DON'T PANIC, we've got you covered......
What's In The Box?
CronusMAX PLUS v3
- Main device that connects between the Controller and Console/PC (A PC is any computer that is capable of running at least Microsoft Windows 7 SP1. Yes this includes laptops and MAC's.)
- Used to connect the CronusMAX PLUS to your PC.
USB Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter
- Used for wireless communication with DualShock 4, DualShock 3, Wii U Pro and WiiMote Controllers.
USB Sound Card for PS4
- Used to connect headsets with a standard 3.5mm TRS/TRRS audio connectors to a PS4 console (Includes both stereo audio and mic support) (Click here
for more info)
Headset Extension Cable
- Used to extend the length of a wired headset.
Other Optional Items You may require:
Download & Install Cronus PRO
is the main software for programming, updating and configuring your CronusMAX PLUS. It gives you access to everything from GamePacks, Button Remapping, Macro/Combo Capturing, GPC Script Development, GPC Script Sharing and so on. Cronus PRO is a very powerful tool designed for beginners through to advanced users, making every and any controller customization (rapid fire, quick scope, anti-recoil, button remap, macros, combos, etc...) within reach of everybody. Much like any new software, there is much to learn when it comes to using Cronus PRO - but it really isn't that difficult once you get to grips with it and especially if all you are doing is using GamePacks
or setting up a controller to work on a different console - there's actually not much to it at all. For now we will do a simple walk through on how to download and install - but to get to the actual Cronus PRO instructions part of the manual - click here
Although we don't officially support Macs, you can use Cronus PRO on a MAC using Windows 7 SP1, 8 or 10 (a freel trial of Windows 10 is the most popular method) with Bootcamp, Parallels, VMWARE Fusion or VirtualBox. Tools like "PlayOnMac" do not work.
OK let's begin!
Technical Note: As of Cronus PRO v1.10, Windows XP is no longer supported as we have moved forward with .NET 4.6 and C++ 2015 along with various updated libraries that are no longer compatible with legacy versions of Windows. The minimum versions of Windows required for Cronus PRO is Vista SP2 and 7 SP1.
If you have Windows Vista and require Service Pack 2, you can download it here.
If you have Windows 7 and require Service Pack 1, you can download the X86 here or the X64 here.
2.2 You will now be prompted to save the Cronus PRO Setup file. You can save it to your downloads folder or wherever you chose. Note: We do use advanced encryption technology, so it's possible that in some cases, the Anti-Virus tools 360 Total Security and some older McAfee engines may flag a false positive. Do not worry, our software is 100% safe. We would recommend if you have this problem that you temporarily disable your AV tool while installing.
2.3 For the purposes of this guide we are using Windows 10, so this is what it looks like when the file has downloaded and saved to the computer's Downloads Folder. It may look a little different for older versions of Windows, but the procedure is the same.
READ BEFORE INSTALLING
Before you install Cronus PRO, it is recommended that you are connected to the internet as the setup process checks for any missing system files such as DirectX, .NET Framework 4.6 and Visual C++ 2015. If there are any files missing from your computer, the Cronus PRO setup will automatically download and install them for you.
Double click on the downloaded Setup file.
2.4 If your Windows OS has SmartScreen protection, you may see the following popups (screenshots taken from Windows 10). Simply click "More Info"
Then click "Run anyway" (You'll only have to do this once when running Cronus PRO for the first time).
2.5 The Cronus PRO Setup Wizard will now begin. Click Next.
2.6 Select the name of the Start Menu folder, the default is 'CronusPRO' but you can edit it to be whatever you like - click the Install button.
2.7 Cronus PRO will now install. It will also scan your computer for any missing system files such as the latest DirectX, .NET Framework 4.6 and Visual C++ 2015, and will download and install them automatically for you.
2.8 That's it! Wasn't that easy? Click the Finish button to close the setup wizard.
You can now run Cronus PRO by clicking on the icon in the Start Menu or on your desktop.
2.9 Cronus PRO in all it's glory. Pay attention to the bottom left of the software and where it says 'Device Disconnected' (This is area is known as the Status Bar). Now let's go to Step 3 of this Quick Start Guide and connect the CronusMAX PLUS device to your PC.
Connect CronusMAX PLUS To The PC
3.1 Using the provided Mini-USB Cable, you're now going to hookup the CronusMAX PLUS to your PC. Connect the smaller end of the USB cable (known as Mini-B) into the PC PROG Port of the CronusMAX PLUS and then connect the other end into a USB 2.0 socket of your PC.
The USB port must be a USB 2.0 or lower speed. USB 3.0 ports do not work with CronusMAX PLUS. You can usually distinguish between the two on a PC because USB 3.0 ports are sometimes blue in color.
WHAT TO DO IF CRONUS PRO SAYS DEVICE DISCONNECTED
If Cronus Pro still says 'Device Disconnected' even though you have connected it to your computer, it is because your device either doesn't have the CronusMAX PLUS Firmware programmed to it, the USB Cable is bad or the device is somehow corrupted and requires recovery.
Here are some troubleshooting suggestions:
- The Mini-USB cable may be faulty - try another (it must be a full data USB cable - not just a charging cable).
- The USB port is 3.0 or possibly faulty - try another (it must be USB 2.0 or below)
- The device is somehow corrupted after it was programmed at the factory or you tried to update the firmware when connected to a USB 3.0 port Click Here for instructions on the Firmware Recovery procedure.
- The device is an older version of CronusMAX that doesn't have the CronusMAX PLUS firmware (Click Here to check the different CronusMAX versions). Devices that do not have the CronusMAX PLUS Firmware are not compatible and no longer supported. The 18 month upgrade window expired July 23rd 2016.
Updating The CronusMAX PLUS Firmware
4.1 If everything is working and detecting OK, the Cronus Pro Status Bar
will now display 'Device Connected CronusMAX PLUS FW v1.00'. You will also notice a gray USB Hub logo.
If your CronusMAX PLUS has a firmware that is not compatible with Cronus PRO (assuming you have installed the latest version), you will see the following pop up warning. Click OK to launch the Firmware Update Wizard.
This is always very important as it includes the newest features and bug fixes. Everything in this guide assumes that you are using the latest firmware, it's also a step that many miss and wonder why certain features aren't working after scratching their heads for two hours. Another reason why this step is important is that it will validate that everything is working correctly between your computer and the CronusMAX PLUS.
Note: To update the firmware you must be connected to the internet.
4.2 The latest version will display (For the purposes of this guide the latest version is 1.21). Click Next.
4.3 The firmware will now download from the internet. If the download is successful you will see the following screen. Click Next.
4.4 DO NOT REMOVE THE DEVICE WHILE PROGRAMMING! If the programming of the CronusMAX PLUS is successful, and it only takes around 5 seconds, you will see the following screen. Click Finish.
4.5 The Cronus PRO Status Bar
should now read 'Device Connected CronusMAX Plus FW v1.21'. You will also notice that the USB Hub logo is now color. This means that your CronusMAX PLUS hardware is USB Hub compatible. If it says version 1.21 but the USB Hub logo is still gray, then you have an older CronusMAX that is not USB Hub compatible and you won't be able to use features such as PS4 Full Crossover Support and PS4 Wheel Edition Mode.
You're now ready to start setting up your controller!
Find The Correct Controller/Console Guide
We have made the navigation of the guide really easy when it comes to Controllers. You simply go to the Controllers Menu
, click on your controller you wish to game with and then click on the console you wish to connect to. It's that simple. Here's some easy quick-link shortcuts to the various guides.
I Want To Use A Keyboard & Mouse - Now What?
Using a Keyboard and Mouse with the CronusMAX PLUS takes a little more setting up and fine tuning. It also requires a Windows PC to be connected at all times as a Cronus PRO Plugin called X-AIM
for more information on how to setup a Keyboard & Mouse.
I Want To Use A Steering Wheel- Now What?
Steering wheels are not standard controllers and are not read as standard controllers by games. There are two options for racing wheels with the CronusMAX PLUS.
1. PS4 Wheel Edition Mode: This brand new and exclusive feature is for users with a PS4 console and a Logitech G25 or G27 racing wheel. The wheel is now detected by the game as an actual wheel and not a gamepad (specifically a Logitech G29 Wheel), giving tight, smooth, precise control and for the first time ever FORCE FEEDBACK SUPPORT! It also includes full support for gas, brake and clutch pedals and also the 6 Speed Shifter without the need for any special scripts and without the need for a computer to be connected to the console.
This stunning new feature requires the Cronus PRO v1.10 software and for the CronusMAX PLUS to be updated to Firmware v1.21 (USB Hub version) and a compatible USB Hub.
2. Standard Mode:
The CronusMAX PLUS converts the wheel into a standard controller and then fools the console into thinking it is fully supported. For the most part you have to use the X-AIM Plugin
so the setup is the same as Keyboard & Mouse where a Windows PC has to be connected at all times. There are a number of wheels that don't require X-AIM therefore don't require a PC to be connected, you can check the list of known compatible controllers here
- if you scroll to the bottom you'll see the steering wheel section. We've highlighted those wheels which require X-AIM or not. You should also know that there is no Force Feedback support in this mode, and that some wheels will require custom scripts to get pedals and gear shifters working.
There is also a dedicated support forum and a large community specifically for steering wheel users where many scripts and setups are shared. Click Here
to go there.
Important Things To Read
In a perfect world we'd would ask that you read all of the manual and remember and understand every word, but let's be honest, you just want to game. Don't worry, we get it. However, we promise that every single question you have is in these pages - and if you follow Quick Start page carefully you'll be surprised by how far you'll get in a short space of time. Every day we receive support requests that start with "I've searched for hours and can't find the answer to XYZ" only for our reply to be a link to one of the pages in the manual - and it wasn't hard to find, just a quick search to the relevant section.
You don't need to read all of it, only a couple of pages in the Controllers section will apply to your setup, you may only use 3 or 4 GamePacks so there's no need to read all 90+ (but PLEASE read the instructions to the GamePacks that you are using - we promise all your questions about the GamePack is in that guide). Many times we get an email saying "the GamePack doesn't work" when in fact they simply didn't read the instructions. Then of course there's all of the scripting section, but if you're not into that you'll never look at those pages either - so out of 250+ pages in the manual you probably only really need to read about 3-5, and most pages are just short step by step guides.
We want you to get the very best experience from your CronusMAX PLUS and that will be achieved if you know as much about the product as possible.
Here's our Top 8 Must-Read Parts of the Manual:
- This tells you everything the CronusMAX PLUS can't do.
- All the different LED Codes and meanings, very important, particularly for error codes.
Cronus PRO Instructions
- This is the entire Guide for Cronus PRO. Don't be alarmed, it's a pretty quick guide but digest it and you'll have everything you need to know.
- You may have bought this device not even knowing what GamePacks are - take a look here and you may be blown away (or your enemies online will be!) Be sure to read the instructions specific to the GamePack that you want to use. Programming
and setting up a GamePack
is easy with the Cronus PRO
software, it's simply drag and drop. Be sure to use the GamePack Support Forums
if you require any assistance.
GPC Language Instructions
- This is for those that are interested in scripting and coding only. If you are terrified of this sort of thing simply stay away from this section - you never have to read it or worry about it ever again. Our community
will be happy to create scripts for you or you can download pre-made scripts from the thousands to choose from our GPC Library
Other Support Resources
As I'm sure you can tell just by this manual alone, we take customer support at CronusMAX very seriously. We want to make sure you have a great experience and that you are happy with your purchase, and to do that our goal is to make sure you are as educated as possible about this awesome product.
Here are some useful links where you can find further support (You may notice some links point to ControllerMAX - this is also a brand used by CronusMAX):
- Our main Website is packed with information about the CronusMAX PLUS product - along with the latest news and updates.
- This is a Frequently Asked Questions list - very useful.
CronusMAX Support Community
- This is a really great community with tens of thousands of members. If you need support or advice on anything from beginners level to advanced, we highlight recommend you sign up for a free membership - you will get the maximum enjoyment from your CronusMAX by being part of the team.
- You may be reading this and haven't bought a CronusMAX PLUS yet - this is a list of the major authorized retailers around the world.
- You can contact us directly by using this form.