Topic: Mouse DPI & Fine Tuning - Detailed Explanation

GOLD NOVA III

User Info Menu

Mouse DPI & Fine Tuning - Detailed Explanation

Okay.... after a bit of controversy... I have learned something about "how" these optical mice work (at the 20,000 foot level) and found that there can be an advantage to a small increase in DPI ... Lots of analysis here, super long post, but its worth it to read if you're into this like I am.

I have played with my mouse settings for BF3, just to try to rationalize what the differences are between 1000 and 2000 DPI are and have found that I personally play better with 2000 DPI.... but there are limitations to going much higher than this (explained at the end)

First I will explain the concept of "resolution" in a nutshell

The resolution of the image that the console puts out to your screen is fixed, meaning that the game itself only has a specific image package that it delivers to your TV. How your TV decides to spread that package out across your screen is left up to the processor of the TV. What really ends up happening, is that your TV (if its at a higher resolution than the game will put out) will basically start splitting up the "game" images into higher counts of squares. I suspect that this works in the opposite fashion if your TV is at a lower resolution than the game puts out, such that 2 game pixels would then be squeezed into a single TV pixel ..... and so on

Let me put this another way. Lets say you have some Super TV, that takes a single pixel square from the console, and your super TV reads this image and splits it into 4 squares on the TV, such that each corner of this new pixel-ized matricx on your screen is 1/4th of the actual game pixel.... what this means, is that if your enemy was in any of the 4 pixel squares on your TV, and you shot at them, you would hit them just the same in one of the squares, as any of the other 3, because the console doesn't care (or know) that your TV split that pixel up for you. This would be the advantage of playing on a large TV.

DPI is kind of the same thing.... when you increase/decrease your DPI beyond/below the resolution of the screen, you are basically forcing the mouse to do to your screen, what your TV is doing to the signal coming in from game.....you force your mouse's optical reader to take many pictures of your mouse surface, while your arrow is only moving across only a partial of one pixel. So, with that said, an increase from 1000 to 2000 (or, in other words, 2x the jump) is basically your way of telling your mouse to "look twice as often" at where your hand position is relative to the mouse pad, which could reduce the effects of a phenomenon known as "resolution vs hand velocity errors" (the misconception of false accelerations)

Example scenario from my excerpt above

BF3 game output = 720 Pixel delivery
    Your TV, (a good one) = 1080p by 1920p So, the results can overlap meaning that there is some chance that one game pixel might theoretically be spread across 2 TV pixels

Your mouse resolution is basically like this ------> "move your mouse 1 inch....and count the number of pixels you've covered across your screen".....that's your mouse resolution

If your TV is 1920p (over 42 inches wide, like my TV), this results in a mouse resolution of about 45 pixels per inch horizontally ..... at 6000 DPI this comes out to about 131 mouse surface photographs per TV pixel ........ so ask yourself this question, "If your mouse was hovering over a TV pixel and took 45 pictures of the mouse surface, or similarly, took 131 pictures of the mouse surface....did your accuracy change?" (this is basically the difference between 2000 and 6000 DPI)...... Answer = NO.... your accuracy didn't increase just because your mouse took more photographs ...... this was a trick question since the TV pixel is the same width during both photography events. Your mouse optical reader simply took more mouse pad pictures while hovering over the exact same TV pixel on the screen :cool2:

One more fun fact...... 6000 DPI means that your optical reader is taking a new picture of your mouse surface approximately every 1/10th of a human hair width that you move it..... this width is like the length of an ant compared to the length of a car, where your deadzone is the car length

----- In summary, DPI increase can increase the effects of ....."mouse resolution vs hand velocity errors" (commonly called acceleration error) ...... so I will explain the advantages and disadvantages of increasing DPI.

Advantages
    --- You can tell your mouse to look at the mouse pad surface more often to read where its at
    --- Basic turning such as running through an obstacle course (or going up the stairs on Flag A in Operation Metro) can prove to smooth out, and feel more 1 to 1
    --- Extremely high speed turns do not result in such an out of control feeling (which takes practice anyway)
    --- You have a higher chance of "returning" your pointer closer to the same point when you move your hand back and forth between physical locations, ....thus a closer 1 to 1

Disadvantages
    --- Too much DPI will introduce "optical noise" in your optical reader. Basically, your mouse is reading every single tiny bump in the fabric of your mouse pad, or the surface of your table. Since the mouse will not work on high gloss finishes, it requires this "surface roughness". When you crank your DPI way up, it will start to mis-read the trough's and valley's of your mouse pad surface finish and mis-calculate the distance that it has traveled.
    --- Too much jitter. Your mouse is literally confused by the difference between your hand motion, and the optical noise and doesn't know what way to go. You experience "resolution vs hand velocity errors" (the misconception of false accelerations)
    --- An event called Drift. It is possible for your mouse pointer to literally move on its own (drift in some unidentified direction) even when you aren't touching the mouse.
    --- Sniping becomes basically impossible. You spend all of your time trying to re-center your weapon on your target

Limitations
    One of the limitations I found is that you can see that my first acceleration of choice was first 0.72 and my sensitivity was low, around 3.5 with DPI around 800-1000..... but now my acceleration is at 0.35 and my sensitivity is up around 21 with DPI around 2000... basically meaning that by doubling DPI it cut the value of the acceleration slider in half, making my character handle a little better, but now my sensitivity is at 21 and the upper bound of the X-AIM slider limit is 30 ..... so im not sure if I could again double the DPI because there isn't enough movement left in the sensitivity slider to do so.

Knowing if you have exceeded too high of a DPI will take judgment of knowing when you've crossed from the 'advantages' to the 'disadvantages' of characteristics of your mouse behavior as described above.... im sure this transition is a grey area, but I suspect anyone trying a DPI over 6000 (or probably even 4000) is going to bang their head against the wall wondering why they cant tune their mouse (I suspect the sensitivity slider is the key player here to determining what the limit is, but then again, everyone plays different.)

Here are the settings that I tried today.... What this did for me is basically smooth out my turns. My personal gaming style (with M&K) is to have a very high response to very little movement of the hand. I liked the fast response of 0.7 acceleration (what I first had). So when I cut this in half today, I found that had to increase hand movement but gained more control of the player while turning/running through doors.... I was able to turn and lock onto players better. I just have to get used to moving my hand more (and stop being so lazy...lol)

You can compare the images below, to my originals-----> mouse settings for BF3

I will make a mouse tuning "how-to-fine-tweak" thread soon

Attachment 1319
    Attachment 1320
    Attachment 1321

A reminder on how you hookup a Mouse to your CronusMAX / Console using the X-AIM Plugin

Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RingKing For This Useful Post:

Community Boss

User Info Menu

Re: Mouse DPI & Fine Tuning - Detailed Explanation

This is really fantastic !

GOLD NOVA III

User Info Menu

Thanks,

This is a tough topic to get people to visualize.... one of the reasons why its hard to catch peoples attention on this is because all of these mouse companies like to market DPI in a misleading sense that higher numbers means people are getting more for their money, when all it really does is amplify the noise..... its crazy... and people fall for it every day.

I am trying to find time to make a post about making CM mouse settings .....this will be coming in the next couple of weeks, stay tuned

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RingKing For This Useful Post:

Community Boss

User Info Menu

We have added new instructions including X/Y parameters in the new CronusMAX PLUS & Cronus Pro Users Manual

https://cronusmax.com/manual/#finding...e_deadzone.htm

Deadzone settings tips:

1. Set in game sensitivity to MAX
    2. Set Deadzone X and Y to 0
    3. Set Deadzone shape to Rectangle
    4. Enable Circle Test and set to - Radius = 1 Speed = 50
    5. Start Circle Test
    6. Increase X by 1 until your game starts to move, remember the value and change back to 0
    7. Repeat with Y
    8. Set the values back in after turning the circle test off
    9. Set the shape correctly for your game (BF4 is ellipse)
    10. Values are usually around 25ish

More info on mouse setup and helpful scripts can be found here: https://cronusmax.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141501

Community Boss

User Info Menu

GOLD NOVA III

User Info Menu

I made this post too, for mouse settings

Click here ---> How to adjust CM mouse settings

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RingKing For This Useful Post:

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Thank you

SILVER ELITE MASTER

User Info Menu

The acceleration fix is kind of pointless if you still have to use Accel in X-Aim. There has to be another way to use the mouse and keyboard and WITHOUT mouse acceleration Using X-Aim is cool and fun and maybe its just me, but its all kind of useless if you still have Acceleration. t=The acceleration really gets on my nerves and is very frustrating when I get killed because of it.

Meanwhile the more I play right now with acceleration from X-Aim, the more im getting used to it and training my muscle memory completely wrong. Is there any other way to experience the keyboard and mouse on console the correct way??

SILVER III

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MechaGamer03 View Post
    The acceleration fix is kind of pointless if you still have to use Accel in X-Aim. There has to be another way to use the mouse and keyboard and WITHOUT mouse acceleration Using X-Aim is cool and fun and maybe its just me, but its all kind of useless if you still have Acceleration. t=The acceleration really gets on my nerves and is very frustrating when I get killed because of it.

Meanwhile the more I play right now with acceleration from X-Aim, the more im getting used to it and training my muscle memory completely wrong. Is there any other way to experience the keyboard and mouse on console the correct way??

Smoothness is even worse than Acceleration. But I did manage to minimize them in my setting which you can find here: https://cronusmax.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154663

The problem is that there are only 30 points of sensitivity. If there were more I would even lower my DPI from 400 to 200, turn down more of the accel and raise my sensitivity. But still with this settings I get the most of my mouse feel, with low mouse speed to rely on muscle memory.

SILVER II

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=MaxADMIN;1001598]We have added new instructions including X/Y parameters in the new CronusMAX PLUS & Cronus Pro Users Manual

https://cronusmax.com/manual/#finding...e_deadzone.htm

Do you guys have an instructional video of how to get your game to appear on your PC Monitor, while tuning the mouse settings? Is it as simple as just getting a second HDMI/VGA cable and hooking it up to the second port on my monitor and PC? How Do I project my game screen to my PC so that I can actually see what movement each setting changes. I'm trying to guestimate it all and I have to keep swapping my cable from my PC to my Console and then re-enabling capture mode.

Thanks!!

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

i feel so retarded.. i bought a mouse that goes to 12000 DPI.. when i don't even use about 2400..

GOLD NOVA I

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JustCosmic View Post
    i feel so retarded.. i bought a mouse that goes to 12000 DPI.. when i don't even use about 2400..
    Lol I know right.. They're LIKE OMG 16000 DPI MOUSE SO MUCH HIGH DPI BEST QUALITY MOUSE OPTICAL SENSOR..

when 99% of those mouse users only need from 0 to 3000 DPI.

Thanks OP. You explained it perfectly.
    I Was gonna make a thread about this but found yours so just reviving it .