Topic: >>> Mouse settings 101 --- Start up guide for first person shooter (FPS) games <<<

GOLD NOVA III

User Info Menu

>>> Mouse settings 101 --- Start up guide for first person shooter (FPS) games <<<

So, you’ve received your CronusMax Plus in the mail (from here on out I will call the device “CM” for short)

If you bought this device for M&KB crossover play onto console, you are one of two types of people. Meaning that you are one who is familiar with the look / feel of M&KB play, or one who isn’t…. Thus, I expect you to be:

1. A gamer who plays PC with M&KB and wants to play on console, but are a stronger player with M&KB than with a joystick / hand held controller
    2. A gamer who plays on console who wanted to try something new (this was me)

If you fit into category 1 and are an experienced M&KB player who is looking to transition to console gaming with this device, then you already understand what you’re “physically” looking for in terms of hand input / onscreen output, and are trying to tune this device to get that result…… but, if you’re coming from the hand held controller / analog thumbstick world of category 2, (as I once did) then you will struggle with both learning how to get back to being as good as you were with thumbsticks, in addition to catching up to a gamer from category 1. Either way, if you don’t understand how to tune this device, you will probably smash your head against the wall, and give up trying.

Before I introduce the guide to mouse settings, there are a few things that you need to understand about what is going on here

Disclaimer #1
    The absolute most important concept…. And by saying this, I mean you have to understand and accept this as a 100% reality which cannot be changed. Microsoft and Sony PlayStation consoles were not engineered for use with M&KB, they are designed for hand held controllers with analog joystick / thumbsticks. With that in mind, when you use a device like the CM, the device has to overcome some very difficult default settings set forth by the console. In doing this, it tends to lead to some "off-beat" looking mouse performance curves in the X-AIM dialogue (it’s not a straight diagonal line, because you’re overcoming the thumb-stick algorithmic defaults), and the only real way of knowing what you've got, is to physically "look on screen" at how your mouse performs with respect to how your hand is moving. PC players often like to pick on these console crossover devices and the lack of 1-to-1 feel without realizing that this phenomenon is happening, and fail to give credit to the fact that it “can” be overcome with the right amount of intuition, trial and error, practice, and patience.

Disclaimer #2
    These are my own personal preferences, taken from my own data banks of leaning. There are probably more disclaimers, but this post is going to be extremely long if I don’t get on with how to set things up.

First of all....

There are six settings that you should know about. Two of these are deadzone settings, which you can just follow the thread and video for, and the other three I will explain in detail. (Leave stickize at the default setting of 142, and see the user manual for the reason why)

Here we go

1. Always play with the in-game sensitivity settings in your game options set to maximum. If you limit your sensitivity here, you limit the capability of X-AIM.
      ------
    2. If you are pro-gamer and are serious about getting extremely fine-tuned control of your game, and you are using a PC in which you can freely alter windows registry settings (without someone else freaking out) then you need to start by performing the Zero Acceleration Fix for windows explained in this thread ---- > Zero Acceleration Fix I strongly recommend this fix for anyone trying to use CM, otherwise you're fighting a big unknown amplifier when it comes to tweaking things with X-AIM. Remove Windows’s accelerations (and any other accelerations in your gaming mouse’s firmware), so that the CM X-AIM software is the only acceleration adjustment affecting your gameplay.
      ------
    3. Set Smoothness to near zero, or zero ( I personally keep this at zero ).Smoothing evaluates your mouse’s optical comparator snapshots during hand movement and attempts to anticipate what direction you are moving, then attempts to basically draw or “snap you to” a straight line between where you came from, and the next anticipated point it thinks you are moving towards….. and your motion then becomes set by smoothness logic, and not your hand. As you increase smoothness, you can see a loss in precision while moving in a straight line diagonally. You might notice a phenomenon I call “stair-casing” like your mouse pointer is walking up a flight of stairs. ……Remember, I only play first person shooter games, so this smoothness could be handy somewhere else, but not typically in FPS gaming. In FPS games, you want to maximize the potential of covering every pixel with your mouse, all of the time, especially when sniping, so set this to zero.

------
    4. Next, follow this thread for setting your deadzone properly --- > Deadzone & Mouse Settings Explained Or just watch this deadzone video --- > DPI explained I recommend setting your gaming mouse to NO MORE than 2000 DPI and then making sure that you set the DPI in the mouse settings dialogue to match. A decrease in DPI will generally also decrease mouse pointer speeds for a variety of reasons, which I will not go into detail here. Just know that I have found successful settings with as low as 500 DPI. Typically, most gamers should be able to find very playable settings between 1000 and 2000 DPI. Note that there are 2 remaining sliders still left to set, acceleration and sensitivity, so if you change DPI, you may find yourself changing these other two sliders from scratch. After research of my own gaming preference, I have learned that 2000 DPI always seems to work well for me, so I just “set it and forget it” , so that I only have 2 sliders to tweak.
      ------
    5. Now you’re ready to set your acceleration and sensitivity sliders. The key to success here seems to fall into keeping the input / output performance curve hitting the lower left, and upper right hand corners of the graph. For example here are two screenshots of 1000 DPI vs 2000 DPI (The pictures below have been cut / pasted / cropped for display, but you get the point) …..this example comes from BF3 on PS3.

What I have found, is that it is best to move these two sliders (iteratively) together, first starting with acceleration, then adjusting the sensitivity to keep the line going through the corners of the graph

I say again, and this is IMPORTANT: First set / adjust your acceleration value…. Then instantly set your sensitivity to keep the red lines going through the corners of the graph. It is of the utmost importance to remember that adjusting the acceleration slider involves re-adjusting the sensitivity slider. The graph is a plot of the function of the combination of these two. Once you get used to your settings, and find something within the realm of reason, then you can go back and make a small bump one way or another on the sensitivity slider for purposes of fine tweaking.

In most cases (like 99% of the time) you will find that the acceleration for console games is going to be some value less than one. Meaning that your entire goal, is to reduce the feeling of acceleration down to what appears as a one-to-one correlation between your hand movement, and what is happening with your aiming reticle on the screen. Every game is different, and this is where the trial and error learning curve (and patience) comes into play. You have to basically figure out what acceleration value brings you comfort and control of your player. I will stress here that EVERY game is different, so don’t expect your settings from one game, to instantly provide the same results in another. Not only that, but console brands are different. Microsoft and Sony systems don’t act the same way. This is why X-AIM has a convenient drop down for profiles. Once you get a layout figured out, save and export the profile and you’re done forevermore, it’s just load-and-play from that point. This layout feature is the coolest thing in the world because not only does it save your hard earned mouse settings, it also saves / loads your GPC code.

To set acceleration, initially start with something around 0.5…. then, enter a map, click on enter capture mode and start running around on the map. Your accelerations (obviously) are most felt when you try to turn your player, so the goal here is to adjust your acceleration slider such that the built in turn-speed indicator goes “juuuuust” up to the top of the indicator bar for your normal common style of play (see picture below for turning indicator). If you turn just a small amount and the indicator instantly turns red, then your acceleration slider value is set too high. If you turn a small amount and you have a ton of green bar left, then your acceleration may be too low. The strategy here is to leave yourself enough room at the top such that if you get into a panic situation and you need to turn faster than what you normally would, you still have enough left to make that happen….. but you also want to make sure that the upper extreme isnt turning you faster than what you can comfortably control. The key point here is that once the indicator turns red, you have reached the mechanical limits of the software........, and you’re not going to get any "more" response by moving your hand faster than this.

Don't forget what I said above in orange font --- adjust your turn indication meter level by moving the two sliders as a pair, always starting w/ acceleration first

Lastly, I want to comment on the picture showing the difference between 1000 and 2000 DPI…. In the 1000 DPI case, the value of acceleration is about 0.7…. and the sensitivity is about 4.1….. but the change up to 2000 DPI (doubling it) dropped the acceleration in half to 0.35 ….. but the sensitivity went wayyyyy up to 21. So in terms of proportionality it seemed that DPI and acceleration was found to be somewhat equally proportional (for this game and for my playing style) but the sensitivity is not. I don’t think I could double the DPI again to 4000 because the sensitivity would have to be approximately about 5 times higher for each doubling, and the limit only goes to 30. This is one of many reasons I recommend a 2000 DPI limit (besides all of the technical reasons in my DPI post)

Okay these are the basics.... and this post is officially way too long. Anything beyond this should be addressed in specific 1 by 1 cases per individual, per game, or per console - the beauty of this particular support forums is that we are on hand to assist you - only AFTER you have tried to do this yourself, not before - we're not here to hold your hand but to help you learn - trust me when I say you will get far more satisfaction

Let me know if you have any questions

A reminder on how you hookup a Mouse to your CronusMAX / Console using the X-AIM Plugin

Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to RingKing For This Useful Post:

Community Boss

User Info Menu

Re: Mouse settings 101 --- Start up guide for first person shooter (FPS) games

Fantastic Guide @RingKing !!!

Here's another video by GL0ZZ3N which can be used as a companion to your guide

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MaxADMIN For This Useful Post:

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Re: Mouse settings 101 --- Start up guide for first person shooter (FPS) games

thanks for the info!

SILVER II

User Info Menu

Re: >>> Mouse settings 101 --- Start up guide for first person shooter (FPS) games <

you can add 2 keys 1 joystick button exampel X button I want the keyboard you can tap the space bar and the enter and you do not like the enter as space and pc can put 2 keys as F and V key is to use the knife

SILVER III

User Info Menu

Re: >>> Mouse settings 101 --- Start up guide for first person shooter (FPS) games <

is this settings for ps3 bf3? or i can apply it for ps4 bf4 and star wars battlefront too?

My mouse: Logitech G700s with switchable DPI 400-1400-2400-3500-4800 i can change it to any other position like 500-1000-1500-2000-etc (max DPI 8200)
    Sreen resolution:FullHD

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Hey guys! I do not know what is happening but somehow I can't catch the mouse button in my PS4 controller. Do you know why? The L2 and R2 catch all keyboards buttons but the mouse 1 and mouse 2 buttons...
    I am using a Macbook with Windows 8.1 and a Razer Deathadder.

I have been trying to catch the mouse button while I was playing and did not work at all. Now I created a new profile on X-AIM before connect into the PS4 and worked but now when I enter the game the mouse buttons doesn't work. The mouse works well but the mouse buttons don't.

Anyone can help me?

LEGENDARY EAGLE

User Info Menu

Run cronus pro as admin and it should resolve the issue

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzy View Post
    Run cronus pro as admin and it should resolve the issue
    Thank you, Swizzy! It worked perfectly!

SILVER I

User Info Menu

My input lag is still pretty high and I've run through the forums several times.
    Windows 10

SILVER I

User Info Menu

2 weeks since the last Reply... come on guys !

Community Boss

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xprivatex View Post
    2 weeks since the last Reply... come on guys !
    There wasn't a question - just a statement, and I don't see anything from you. Was there a question you need answering?

SILVER II

User Info Menu

I am on windows 10, first time trying kb+m. After a few seconds my cronuspro force closes when i enter capture mode in X-Aim. Please help! I can use my kb+m in game but then the program force close after a few seconds.
    Running Destiny on PS4 btw.

LEGENDARY EAGLE

User Info Menu

Force close? Sounds like your antivirus is being a pita... can you try disabling it?

SILVER II

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzy View Post
    Force close? Sounds like your antivirus is being a pita... can you try disabling it?
    Only using standard windows anti virus, nothing else. I disabled real time protection and haven't gotten any force close so far so it seems like that was the issue. Thanks for the help!

SILVER II

User Info Menu

Im in need of help.. So i got my DPI set as my mouse speed 2500 go in game to test it all but when i start doing circles some reason my mouse starts being retarded and going up and keeps doing circles :/

SILVER I

User Info Menu

I cant get my character to look up or down in IW on Xbox1

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Can you fix link for Zero Acceleration Fix ?

SILVER IV

User Info Menu

With CM plus i wanna be sure that i could Connect mouse & keyboard To PS4. Beside The setup with xaim bli don't understand after that i completed The set up i need To play with PS4 near The PC ? I plug in the CM in PS4 But where i put mouse And keyboard usb ? I need An hub usb or i have To plug The cm in PS4 And Also plug It in PC?

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar10459 View Post
    With CM plus i wanna be sure that i could Connect mouse & keyboard To PS4. Beside The setup with xaim bli don't understand after that i completed The set up i need To play with PS4 near The PC ? I plug in the CM in PS4 But where i put mouse And keyboard usb ? I need An hub usb or i have To plug The cm in PS4 And Also plug It in PC?
    yes, you must connect the CM to your console (and controller) and to your PC through the PC PROG Port for the whole game session.
    To play, you will use your PC's mouse and keyboard.
    There are a couple of videos at the first post of this thread that show you how to do

SILVER IV

User Info Menu

Many tks. So it's suggested To have wired connection Tru controller And CM. The using of hub usb is only To avoid The re-connection so in this Way (with DS4 wired To Cm and cm To Pc without hub) is There a risk of lag or To loose connection ?

SILVER III

User Info Menu

thank you ring. spent the last two weeks tweaking and always had jumpy movements w slowmovements. set my x aim up in 10 mins w very little to non now. life saver sir. acc/sens was explained alot better than anyone else i have seen

24. The Following User Says Thank You to NMhockey5 For This Useful Post:

SILVER II

User Info Menu

Guys....

sorry if this is a noob question, but is it possible to use macros too?...

I play fortnite, I recently bought a venom x 4 (for anyone who doesn't know, its an adaptor like xim4 that comes with a wand and mouse)
    I'm not really a M&KB player id much rather the left anolog stick but to use a mouse for the right side
    basicly the wand broke and the mose buttons kept getting stuck,... so I bought a razer naga hex 2 which has 7 buttons on the side,
    now the way I'm playing is using my xbox controller in left hand and mouse in right via the venom x 4.... as I had 3 spare buttons I went onto the razer synapse app and made 3 macros... problem is in game fortnite doesn't read them???

then I remembered I have a cronus max which I originally only bought a few years ago so I could use a ps4 controller on my new xbox lol

anyway...... is it possible to be able to use the same set up and also use macros with cronusmax?

xbox controller & mouse + macros from mouse buttons?

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Hi,

I have the new Cronus max and wanted to connect and use my keyboard and mouse when playing Fortnite.

I have followed the tutorials, and even have the 3 "-" on the cronus, in the x-aim software, when I move my mouse, I can see the bar on the top left "showing movement", however, nothing happens on my screen.

I am using an xbox 1.

As far as I can tell from what I can see, its set up correctly, all plugged into my computer etc.. as per the instructions, but I am not having any luck.

I see there are settings for COD etc.. but nothing for Fortnite?, is this why it isn't working?.

Any help would be gratefully received and appreciated,

Many thanks in advance,

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tempered slayer View Post
    Hi,

I have the new Cronus max and wanted to connect and use my keyboard and mouse when playing Fortnite.

I have followed the tutorials, and even have the 3 "-" on the cronus, in the x-aim software, when I move my mouse, I can see the bar on the top left "showing movement", however, nothing happens on my screen.

I am using an xbox 1.

As far as I can tell from what I can see, its set up correctly, all plugged into my computer etc.. as per the instructions, but I am not having any luck.

I see there are settings for COD etc.. but nothing for Fortnite?, is this why it isn't working?.

Any help would be gratefully received and appreciated,

Many thanks in advance,
    I know you said you set it up correctly as per instructions but I will run through the physical setup and other setups quick first just to ensure we double check this is not the issue.
    https://cronusmax.com/manual/how_to_...d_keyboard.htm

|Xbox->Cronus->Xbox Controller
    |
    |---->PC USB 2.0 PORT

|PC USB 2.0 PORT->USB 2.0 hub|--->Keyboard
    |---------------------------------------------|--->Mouse

Next ensure you have done the following:
    -Installed the drivers for your keyboard and mouse
    -Neither the KB/Mouse are plugged directly to the PC but through a compatible USB 2.0 hub (NOT 3.0) ( https://cronusmax.com/manual/compatible_usb_hubs.htm )
    -Installed gaming mouse/keyboard software. You must install any necessary software for your mouse/kb and configure the settings (DPI etc) within the software (Such as Corsair Utility Engine Software if you have a Corsair mouse). These settings must match the settings in X-AIM.
    -Remove any old drivers for any hardware that is no longer present.
    -Ensure the correct controller input is set within the CronusPro software
    -Mapped the buttons to the controller in X-AIM

It sounds most likely like a physical issue meaning, try a different USB hub, different USB port on the PC, mouse or cable. I have had a similar issue when I swapped from one mouse to another without removing the others drivers and setting up the new one correctly with the gaming software. Hope it helps!

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Thanks for this!

SILVER IV

User Info Menu

Re: >>> Mouse settings 101 --- Start up guide for first person shooter (FPS) games <<<

thank you for your time. the help is greatly apreciated