Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Steam Controller through X-AIM (with analog support)

SILVER II

User Info Menu

Steam Controller through X-AIM (with analog support)

Good evening, folks! I haven't seen any recent topics regarding the Steam controller, so here's a guide on getting it hooked up! Please note that I've written this for the XBOX One and my settings are far less than optimal. That said, this should work for any console with some minor adjusting. Any suggestions are highly welcome.

First, you'll need a CronusMAX device, Cronus Pro, the X-AIM plugin, a Steam Controller, and Steam. But you probably already knew that. Moving on...

Plug the Steam controller dongle into your computer and start Steam. I am using the latest beta client from October 23rd.

From the main client UI, select Games -> Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library. Add the Cronus Pro software as a non-steam game.

Turn the controller on and enter the Big Picture mode. Go to Settings -> Controller -> Configurations -> Desktop Configuration. The controller configurations here are entirely of your choosing, but I recommend using as many gamepad functions as possible, especially for the analog controls (sticks and triggers). If you browse the community configurations, you should find "CronusMAX Test", which is the one I've created.

Attach the CronusMAX to your computer via the programming port on the side. Enter Big Picture mode on Steam and launch Cronus Pro. If you do not launch Cronus Pro through Steam, you will not be able to pick up DirectInput controls. On the Direct Input settings of X-AIM, select XInput Controller (XBOX 360 for Windows). Do NOT use Controller (XBOX 360 for Windows). Doing so will cause the triggers to cancel each other out. Assign your controls appropriately or download and tweak my attached control scheme. Plug the CronusMAX device into your console, enable capture and you'll be good to go!

Attachment 1704

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Link. For This Useful Post:

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Re: Steam Controller through X-AIM (with analog support)

Thanks for the guide!

I am currently trying to get my Steam controller to work on the Xbox One using a CronusMax+ & PC of course.

I haven't seen any posts about that yet, should be fairly easy with X-Aim mapped to Steam's "desktop configuration."

But when I try launching CronusPro through Steam as you suggest, Cronus doesn't launch it just crashes.

Are there any launch options I missed?

SILVER II

User Info Menu

I've updated my Steam client and the Cronus firmware to the latest versions and tried this procedure again with no crashes. No launch options are necessary, other than launching it from Big Picture.

Can you look in the Windows Event Viewer after a crash and provide more detailed info? If a dialog box comes up during a crash, please screenshot it or type what it says here.

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Hmm, updated the Cronus to 1.2 and I'm still getting this error. (Only when launching through Steam, CronusPro starts normal from everywhere else.)

Attachment 1779

Do you think I would need the "direct input" to do what I am trying?

Edit: Maybe I wasn't doing it in the right order, Steam BPM launches it now! Thanks again for laying the ground work!

SILVER II

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you got it working! In the future, check to make sure your antivirus isn't interfering. A lot of discussion posts flag antivirus as a common cause of the BEX error.

FYI, you will be better off using DirectInput so you can have sensitivity in the triggers and analog sticks, as opposed to a constant on or off signal.

Happy gaming!

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Oh for sure, no analog would make it almost pointless.

It took me a moment to realize your post was pretty much exactly what I wanted, just phrased differently.

Here I thought I would one of the first!

If I were to make a video tutorial (something like "How to use Steam controller on other consoles") for YouTube, may I reference your work/links if I credit you?

Arghh!

I'm getting that error again! Looks to be related to Steam's app overlay, looking into it.

SILVER II

User Info Menu

It'd be much appreciated if you did, but not entirely necessary.

I've been meaning to make a video, but... I'm lazy. And I get distracted by videos of cats freaking out from cucumbers.

EDIT: If you do make a video, I'll stick it to the top of this thread, unless you want a dedicated thread for it.

SILVER II

User Info Menu

How well does this work ? Any update

SILVER II

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joelious View Post
    How well does this work ? Any update
    Why not try it and review? You'll need to tweak the X-AIM mouse adjustments and possibly a few other things to your liking.

SILVER II

User Info Menu

I wanted to know if anyone used a steam controller as the main on a console and if it played well

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

A couple of months over due. However does anyone have the problem of the Steam keyboard overlay opening in the cronuspro software suit when they press the left stick to sprint.?

SILVER IV

User Info Menu

I set up the steam controller just like you said but now i did something, and dont have xinput controller option in the DI settings drop down list, just controller for xbox 360. So now when i use that setting the triggers cancel each other out just like you said. How do i go about getting the xinput controller option back in the DI drop down list? Also when i did have it working it would work fine and then all of a sudden all the mouse functions would stop working, but all the buttons worked fine. Or mabe there is a script to load to get the triggers to work right .

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NASTYWOLF View Post
    I set up the steam controller just like you said but now i did something, and dont have xinput controller option in the DI settings drop down list, just controller for xbox 360. So now when i use that setting the triggers cancel each other out just like you said. How do i go about getting the xinput controller option back in the DI drop down list? Also when i did have it working it would work fine and then all of a sudden all the mouse functions would stop working, but all the buttons worked fine. Or mabe there is a script to load to get the triggers to work right .
    Seams like you are having the same problem as myself....I bet you are losing functionality when you try to sprint. On my setup this launches the Steam Keyboard, pressing the start button restores the mouse.

SILVER I

User Info Menu

@pingthing
    this for fix the keyboard overlay problem
    In steam shortcut settings of cronus -> controller options uncheck "allow desktop config in launcher".
    remember, the desktop controller settings wont work now so you must edit the controller settings for the cronus shortcut.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to killah0rst For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

I'll give this a whirl tomorrow while the wife does her nightshift.....if that works you could just have answered my prayers....

SILVER IV

User Info Menu

Found good way to set up the direct input Cronusmax \ Steam Controller to XBOX or any other console, no mouse freeze. Everything works like its supposed to. Just have a Controller (XBOX 360 for windows) plugged into your pc so that shows up in DI settings Cronusmax. Do all the steps LINK has above except use the Controller (XBOX 360 for Windows)option in Cronusmax. Use all keyboard and mouse functions on the DI mapping of your controller and map all the keyboard and mouse funtions exactly to a new Steam controller profile in Steam big picture, its that simple. Also if you have windows 10 and have a problem with games minimizing for no reason, the programs causing it will freeze up Steam controller and Cronusmax causing Mouse freeze ups and total controller freeze ups. Fix is simple. Uninstall any IObit programs you have or system monitoring programs that uses CPUZ.
    Note: This new way to set up Cronusmax to use Steam contoller with game consoles, might work with any contoller you plug into the PC as long as you choose that controller in the Cronusmax direct input settings.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NASTYWOLF For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

@nastywolf.....I have been using my SC/CM combo successfully for about 2 weeks, however today after a Steam update my X-aim also stopped recognising my setup as an x-input device. I don't know if it's a windows 10 or a Steam problem.....so you are not alone in your problems, so thanks for figuring out a workaround. Good job I had an old wired Xbox controller......my poor little set-top PC is running out of USB ports though...lol
    Anyone figuring out how it will work without this method, ID appreciate a post.

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

OK false alarm, thanks to latest Steam beta update native x-input functionality is now restored to the Steam controller.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pingthing For This Useful Post:

Community Boss

User Info Menu

I will add this layout as a default in the next release of Cronus Pro / X-AIM

SILVER I

User Info Menu

So I followed all the directions but when I get to the point where you're supposed to select the controller under direct input settings, my game controller dropdown only has the "No game controller selected" option.

My steam controller is on.
    I launched cronus pro through big picture mode & then through non big picture mode.
    My device is showing as connected and plugged into a USB 2.0 slot
    I'm using the layout from the first post
    Software Version: 1.12
    Firmware Version: 1.23

This is my first time using cronus or x-aim, is there something really obvious I'm missing or....? Any help would be appreciated.

LEGENDARY EAGLE

User Info Menu

Check that you have DirectX 9.0c installed, without that it won't be able to find any DirectInput or XInput controllers

This installer should do the trick: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ang=en&id=8109

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Unfortunately no change after running that installer.

SILVER I

User Info Menu

same problem

SILVER IV

User Info Menu

Hi, i try all (and install directx pack u provided) but direct input not work, in direct Input settings of X-AIM come for select xInput controller XBOX 360 for Windows but im unable to select it, i only be able to use steam controller with keyboard configuration and mouse but i really want use direct input and mouse on x-aim is any solution?
    My system windows 10 pro 64bit , steam last verison stable , sc last firmware version.
    CronusPro v1.20
    Thanks

SILVER II

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vampir74 View Post
    direct input not work, in direct Input settings of X-AIM come for select xInput controller XBOX 360 for Windows but im unable to select it
    I'm confirming that this is still an issue as of October 4th, 2017 (been 4 weeks).

SILVER II

User Info Menu

I have found a fix. Use GloSC https://alia5.github.io/GloSC/

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesilver For This Useful Post:

SILVER IV

User Info Menu

Yes i konow for this but ur unable to use the right touch pad to be a mouse that is a minus....

SILVER II

User Info Menu

Yes, you CAN use the right pad as a mouse. Just set it up that way in the Controller Config in steam (I use Gamepad with Mouse and Gyro Aim). Then set up X-Aim to take mouse input for right stick. I just played Destiny 2 with Trackpad + Gyro aim.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamesilver For This Useful Post:

SILVER IV

User Info Menu

GloSC translate the mouse to a direct input for me is not playable.... What i remember u must set in seam style of input mouse Joystick,but i need true mouse...
    meybe come out a new version of GloSC i wil try and tell you...
    Tell me one thing ur able to set up mouse setting in x-aim?

SILVER II

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vampir74 View Post
    GloSC translate the mouse to a direct input for me is not playable.... What i remember u must set in seam style of input mouse Joystick,
    Tell me one thing ur able to set up mouse setting in x-aim?
    As I said above, everything works perfectly including the mouse. After you start GloSC, if your trackpad is set to mouse, you can still use the trackpad and gyro to move your mouse cursor in windows, so it is NOT translating to XInput. X-Aim right analog stick is mapped to mouse input. Before dismissing this solution, try it again.

The only difference from the parent guide is that if you're using GloSC, you don't need to add Cronus Pro to Steam. GloSC will add a "game" in steam for you, which you launch from Steam. Then you fiddle with the steam controller config of GloSC just like any other Steam game, launch CronusPro from windows, and just make sure your right Trackpad and Gyro are set to mouse, and configure in X-Aim.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesilver For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Topic