Topic: [HELP] Joystick movement in a combo

Do a Barrel Roll!

User Info Menu

Question [APEX Legends] New feature - med switch combo - help needed

Hello,

CONTEXT:
    The goal of this script is to switch between Cell batteries and Med Kit in Apex Legends without having to go to in the wheel.
    If you ever played Apex Legends and you were in a tight spot and needed to heal fast, the wheel system is not ideal, as you need to go each time in the wheel screen and select the correct med before using it if it is not already selected.
    By adding two combos that will select the medkit at around 120° in the wheel or 60° for the cell batteries, will help simplify the process.
    The game already selects the small battery cell of syringe when you are at the beginning of the game and don't have a lot of meds to use so I don't think adding a specific combo for the smaller items is required.

Here is the wheel:

Attachment 6058

Here is what I have created so far :

I would like to do the same at 120° and maybe use the same activation method (double tap down arrow) that will launch the combo not run last if this is doable or run the same one if the player changed the meds manualy.

example:
    double arrow press
    -> CELL combo activated

if the user held arrow up and moved the left stick, reset back to HEAL (usefull if you don't have Cells and needed to select the small one)

double arrow pressed again
    -> HEAL combo activated

if the user held arrow up and moved the left stick, reset back to CELL (usefull if you don't have medkit and needed to select syringe)

An other way to do this would be to run a combo that will select the next meds in the wheel by changing the orientation based on the last selection (made by the user or by the last combo)

example:

-> user selected syringe
    combo activated
    -> small cells selected
    combo activated
    -> big cells selected
    -> user selected Med-kit
    combo activated
    -> syringe selected

Thanks for your support
    Last edited by horrebb; 13th March 19 at 07:19. Reason: updated the combo, added context

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

Re: [APEX Legends] New feature - med switch combo - help needed

Quote Originally Posted by horrebb View Post
    Hello,

I don't play Fortnite so a couple of question....
    • When selecting the wheel manually do you have to hold Dpad UP to keep the window open?
    • Which stick (Left or Right) do you move to make the selection? You're combos are showing LS but based on all the other games I've play you normally using the RS, the other is kind of cumbersome.

When moving the joysticks there are 2 axis. Open the Device Monitor in Cronus Pro and move the sticks around to see how the values change. There is the Y axis which is UP & DOWN. The values range from -100(UP) to 100(DOWN). The same for the X axis -100(LEFT) to 100(RIGHT). So movements are going to be a combination of the 2. If you wanted to go UP & RIGHT, set the Y axis to -100 and the X axis to 100. If you wanted to go straight right set the X axis to 100 and the Y axis to 0.

Here's the script written to move the RS for the selection. Let me know if it's actually the other way around.

Last edited by Batts; 13th March 19 at 08:50.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batts For This Useful Post:

Do a Barrel Roll!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Batts View Post
    I don't play Fortnite so a couple of question....
    • When selecting the wheel manually do you have to hold Dpad UP to keep the window open?
    • Which stick (Left or Right) do you move to make the selection? You're combos are showing LS but based on all the other games I've play you normally using the RS, the other is kind of cumbersome.
    This script is actually for Apex and not Fortnite,
    Dpad UP as to be held down to select a specific item in the wheel and upon release the item selected by the stick will be usable after pressing Dpad Up once.
    I am enable to test in game right now to check which stick is used in the wheel (maybe someone can confirm this). You must be right, the RIGHT stick is probably the one used to select an item and not the other way around.

When moving the joysticks there are 2 axis. Open the Device Monitor in Cronus Pro and move the sticks around to see how the values change. There is the Y axis which is UP & DOWN. The values range from -100(UP) to 100(DOWN). The same for the X axis -100(LEFT) to 100(RIGHT). So movements are going to be a combination of the 2. If you wanted to go UP & RIGHT, set the Y axis to -100 and the X axis to 100. If you wanted to go straight right set the X axis to 100 and the Y axis to 0.
    I will use the device monitor when I test your script, to fine tune the values based on the location on the wheel and check if int window_time = 300 is long enough to make the wheel appear.

Here's the script written to move the RS for the selection. Let me know if it's actually the other way around.
    Thanks for your help Batts
    Last edited by horrebb; 13th March 19 at 09:16. Reason: format

5. The Following User Says Thank You to horrebb For This Useful Post:

Do a Barrel Roll!

User Info Menu

I went through the script you provided in details and, if I'm understanding it correctly after the combo HEAL is run once and stopped, the next time the X and Y value will be inverted.
    The two item in the wheel that need to be selected are in the TOP, LEFT and TOP, RIGHT of the wheel, so I don't think there is the need to "flip" the Y axis each time.

Thanks again

Last edited by horrebb; 13th March 19 at 10:27. Reason: edit on the combo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to horrebb For This Useful Post:

Do a Barrel Roll!

User Info Menu

Okay so I tested the script a lot and found out the angles and the time to hold for the combo but there is an issue with it.

The script is doing the right things but in game the wheel is not appearing when the script is holding XB1_UP, but the Device Monitor register the Hold for the set time 400.
    I commented out w_y = inv(w_y) in the script in the combo as the two things that needs to be switch from are on the UP part of the wheel.

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

Okay so I tested the script a lot and found out the angles and the time to hold for the combo but there is an issue with it.

The script is doing the right things but in game the wheel is not appearing when the script is holding XB1_UP, but the Device Monitor register the Hold for the set time 400.
    I commented out w_y = inv(w_y) in the script in the combo as the two things that needs to be switch from are on the UP part of the wheel.

I just threw in some times. Every game is a little different. You have tweak on them some. That why I named some of the variable and put them right at the top. That way you only have to change it in one spot and not 5.

Do a Barrel Roll!

User Info Menu

I just threw in some times. Every game is a little different. You have tweak on them some. That why I named some of the variable and put them right at the top. That way you only have to change it in one spot and not 5.
    I tweaked a lot of the variable at the top but what ever I used for int window_time = 400, the window was never showing up.

I tried from 300 to 1000 to try and get the perfect window_time, but I never got it to appear even once in game. The Device Monitor was showing that the combo is holding the Dpad_UP for the time stated in window_time, but the game never registered it.

I'll try to edit the combo to only hold Dpad_UP when activated, and see if the wheel appears then.

Thanks Batts
    Last edited by horrebb; 14th March 19 at 04:53.

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

Re: [HELP] Joystick movement in a combo

In-Game you hold up and then move right stick to selection, release up? Correct?

Do a Barrel Roll!

User Info Menu

In-Game you hold up and then move right stick to selection, release up? Correct?
    In game you hold UP, keep UP held while moving the Right stick to the desired item on the wheel.

Thanks again

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

In game you hold UP, keep UP held while moving the Right stick to the desired item on the wheel.

Thanks again

Try this one. Hold DOWN then TAP A. It will block output of those buttons when you tap A. Won't interfere in game. I"m wondering if the double tap down might be affecting it somehow.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batts For This Useful Post:

Do a Barrel Roll!

User Info Menu

The script is working as intended. I changed the values and optimised it to make it easier to use (tap down once to activate combo):

Here is the light version of the script that will make the swap from Med-Kit to Big Cell Battery as fast as possible:

Do a Barrel Roll!

User Info Menu

Hello,

I am trying to add an action to this combo that will invert w_y when the combo as been activated twice so for example:

I run the combo once so the values used are:
    w_x = -100
    w_y = -100
    I run the combo a second time so the values are:
    w_x = -100
    w_y = 100
    I tun the combo a third time so the values are:
    w_x = 100
    w_y = 100
    I run the combo a fourth time so the values are:
    w_x = -100
    w_y = 100

the next time the combo is run again it will be back to default so:
    w_x = -100
    w_y = -100

Thanks for your help

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

Hello,

I am trying to add an action to this combo that will invert w_y when the combo as been activated twice so for example:

I run the combo once so the values used are:
    w_x = -100
    w_y = -100
    I run the combo a second time so the values are:
    w_x = -100
    w_y = 100
    I tun the combo a third time so the values are:
    w_x = 100
    w_y = 100
    I run the combo a fourth time so the values are:
    w_x = -100
    w_y = 100