Topic: How to Make a Fighting Game Script -- Video Tutorial with MK11

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

Re: How to Make a Fighting Game Script -- Video Tutorial with MK11

thanks dude i'm so happy you should us how to do this

SILVER III

User Info Menu

okay so i got all this down, how do i add on more combos on other buttons, etc

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aye_richard View Post
    okay so i got all this down, how do i add on more combos on other buttons, etc
    Depends what buttons you want to add them to or stick.

Eg. for right stick.

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

How would I set a script to turn on and run on a loop until I press another button? I am trying to make one to run towers while we sleep.

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

you could just do something like "if(get_val(PS4_RX) < 80 combo_run (mycombo);". That will tell the script to run the combo as long as you aren't pushing the right stick right.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to justframe For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE MASTER

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justframe View Post
    With the release of MK11 and its custom variations, I decided it was time to try and make a guide on how to make fighting game scripts. Since custom variations allow for potentially thousands of different combinations, there's no guarantee your favorite variation will ever get its own script, so I thought now would be a better time than ever to try and help people learn how to make their own. This is my first time ever trying to make a video of any kind, so I apologize in advance for the amateur quality.

I'd like to briefly go over who this tutorial is for first. I intended it to be used by people who already have a basic understanding of GPC. By that I mean that you know things like:
    - what the main and combo sections are
    - basic GPC commands like get_val, combo_run, event_press, set_val, etc. and what they do
    - know what an "if" statement is
    That should be all you need to know to follow along with the video. If you are a complete beginner and don't know any of those things, there are several other resources you can use to get there:

The CronusMax 'GPC Script Programming Support' subforum has many tutorials posted in its stickies:
    https://cronusmax.com/forums/forumdi...amming-Support

The CronusMax manual also has a GPC guide. This gives an in-depth guide to everything you can do with GPC (the programming language used by the CronusMax), and provides example scripts for you to play with as well:
    https://cronusmax.com/manual/gpc_gui...%3D%3D&mw=MzIw

Here are the two example combo start/stop expressions I mentioned in the video:

And finally, here is the script I made in the video itself:

Enjoy! If you've never made a script before, hopefully this will help you to make your first. If you have any questions about the process not mentioned in the video, ask them below.
    How do I change combo runs? Like instead of using R stick, I wanna use Triangle.

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sunkist4ever View Post
    How do I change combo runs? Like instead of using R stick, I wanna use Triangle.
    you just change the "if(get_val(PS4_RX) > 80 combo_run (yourcombo);"

to

"if(!get_val(PS4_TRIANGLE) combo_run (yourcombo);"

not sure how your script is set up so might be a little different considering it's format.

SILVER ELITE MASTER

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fwak View Post

to

not sure how your script is set up so might be a little different considering it's format.
    I'm trying to change these combo starters..... // EDIT THIS PART OF SCRIPT for combo run ---------------------------
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    // Right Stick RIGHT
    if (get_val (9) >= 60) { //combo overheadone
    i = get_combo_index(overheadone);
    }
    // Right Stick LEFT
    if (get_val (9) <= -60) { //combo over
    i = get_combo_index(over);
    }
    // Right Stick UP
    if (get_val (10) <= -60) { //Combo overcrush
    i = get_combo_index(overcrush);
    }
    // Right Stick DOWN
    if (get_val (10) >= 60) { //Combo lowsafe
    i = get_combo_index(lowsafe);
    }
    // Left Stick RIGHT
    if (get_val (11) >= 60) { //combo cornerover
    i = get_combo_index(cornerover);
    }
    // Left Stick DOWN
    if (get_val (12) >= 60) { //Combo lowcorner
    i = get_combo_index(lowcorner);
    }
    // end editing here --------------------------------------------------------------------
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    }// <combo activation> end
    }//<main> block end

- - - Updated - - -

to

To this.... // EDIT THIS PART OF SCRIPT for combo run ---------------------------
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    if (get_val (forward) && get_ptime (PS4_TRIANGLE) > 120) {
    set_val(PS4_TRIANGLE,0);
    EX_Conversion = FALSE;
    EX_Conversion2 = FALSE;
    FB_Conversion = FALSE;
    e = 1;
    c = 1;
    cancel=2;

if(get_lval(PS4_TRIANGLE)) i = get_combo_index(NoobF2);

}
    if (!get_val (forward) && !get_val (back) && !get_val (PS4_UP) && !get_val (PS4_DOWN) && !get_val (PS4_CROSS) && get_val (PS4_SQUARE)) {
    set_val(PS4_SQUARE,0);
    EX_Conversion = FALSE;
    EX_Conversion2 = FALSE;
    FB_Conversion = FALSE;
    e = 2;
    c= 2;
    cancel=2;

if(get_lval(PS4_SQUARE)) i = get_combo_index(Noob113);

}
    if (!get_val (forward) && !get_val (back) && !get_val (PS4_UP) && !get_val (PS4_DOWN) && get_val (PS4_TRIANGLE)) {
    set_val(PS4_TRIANGLE,0);
    EX_Conversion = FALSE;
    EX_Conversion2 = FALSE;
    FB_Conversion = FALSE;
    e = 2;
    c= 2;
    cancel=2;

if(get_lval(PS4_TRIANGLE)) i = get_combo_index(Noob212);

}

if (get_val (forward) && get_val (PS4_CROSS)) {
    set_val(PS4_CROSS,0);
    EX_Conversion = FALSE;
    EX_Conversion2 = FALSE;
    FB_Conversion = FALSE;
    e = 2;
    c= 2;
    cancel=2;

if(get_lval(PS4_CROSS)) i = get_combo_index(NoobB3);
    }

if(event_press(PS4_R3)) {
    cancel = 2;
    i = get_combo_index(NoobFatality);
    }

// end editing here --------------------------------------------------------------------
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    }// <combo activation> end
    }//<main> block end

SILVER ELITE MASTER

User Info Menu

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Here's the full script.
    you need to edit that.
    can't see your script.

SILVER ELITE MASTER

User Info Menu

you need to edit that.
    can't see your script.
    Yeah sorry I just edited it.

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Yeah sorry I just edited it.
    put it in gpc wrappers also.

last one on bottom row next to the speaker looking thing.

SILVER ELITE MASTER

User Info Menu

put it in gpc wrappers also.

last one on bottom row next to the speaker looking thing.
    Ok its done

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Ok its done
    what do you want them all set as?

SILVER ELITE MASTER

User Info Menu

what do you want them all set as?
    RS Right= Hold Triangle.
    RS Up= Hold Square
    RS Left= Hold X
    RS Down= Hold Circle
    LS Down= Hold Circle + down on dpad

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

RS Right= Hold Triangle.
    RS Up= Hold Square
    RS Left= Hold X
    RS Down= Hold Circle
    LS Down= Hold Circle + down on dpad
    honestly can't be bothered anymore ma dude.

SILVER ELITE MASTER

User Info Menu

honestly cba anymore ma dude.
    Cba?

SILVER ELITE MASTER

User Info Menu

honestly can't be bothered anymore ma dude.
    What you mean? It can't be changed?

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

What you mean? It can't be changed?
    no, it can be changed.

SILVER ELITE MASTER

User Info Menu

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

Looking at some of the stuff you guys have posted and I am just impressed. The combos with the lt and rt variation... Its crazy. I am still working out timing on things lol. I am trying to make a d'vorah script but I don't want to step on anyones toes and post something that someone is already making. Is it cool to have more than one character on here? I just wanted to ask before I got started.

GOLD NOVA III

User Info Menu

hey man i need help i made a combo using the script manipulator and im trying to test it but i get an error on line 6 can u take a look at it and tell me whats wrong please its for a noob combo i just named it scoropion11 because i was lazy lol.

GOLD NOVA III

User Info Menu

sorry how do i delete this post

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Juice6121 View Post
    Looking at some of the stuff you guys have posted and I am just impressed. The combos with the lt and rt variation... Its crazy. I am still working out timing on things lol. I am trying to make a d'vorah script but I don't want to step on anyones toes and post something that someone is already making. Is it cool to have more than one character on here? I just wanted to ask before I got started.
    Post whatever you want buddy, we don't have a d'vorah one yet, would like to try it out.

GOLD NOVA III

User Info Menu

hey how do you guys get the timings right other than trail and error because its taking to long guessing the timings i made a combo but the timings are wrong,i tried the max combo but i suck at doing combos so i used the script manipulator and the only thing i need to do is get the timings right. huh this is so tuff

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madmax4 View Post
    hey how do you guys get the timings right other than trail and error because its taking to long guessing the timings i made a combo but the timings are wrong,i tried the max combo but i suck at doing combos so i used the script manipulator and the only thing i need to do is get the timings right. huh this is so tuff
    There is no other way but trial and error, but here are a few tips:

1. run your combo in-game and compare it to the command history at the bottom. That will help you see whether your timings are too fast or too slow. Usually, they will be too fast, which means you should make the wait times in-between the attacks bigger.

2. If you are stuck at a specific part, you can use max combo for that part. For example, if you have trouble getting a certain string to come out in the middle of the combo, try recording yourself doing just that string in max combo. Then you can look at the wait times max combo generates and get an idea of what wait times will work in the combo.

3. Look at other people's scripts to get an idea of some standard wait times. Most of the time, different characters still have the same 'flow' in terms of their combos, and the only difference is the buttons pressed. For example, I've found that a wait time of 120-140 works between the hits of most strings for most characters, and the same or slightly longer time works for special cancelling a string. Even better if someone has already made a script for your character, you can look at their wait times and get an idea of what to do in your script.

The first script you ever make will be your hardest. It gets easier and easier the more of them you do, and eventually you'll develop an intuition for what the timing of a combo is.

GOLD NOVA III

User Info Menu

this helped a lot i never even thought about using max combo for part of the combo duhhhh lol thanks man

1. run your combo in-game and compare it to the command history at the bottom. That will help you see whether your timings are too fast or too slow. Usually, they will be too fast, which means you should make the wait times in-between the attacks bigger.

2. If you are stuck at a specific part, you can use max combo for that part. For example, if you have trouble getting a certain string to come out in the middle of the combo, try recording yourself doing just that string in max combo. Then you can look at the wait times max combo generates and get an idea of what wait times will work in the combo.

3. Look at other people's scripts to get an idea of some standard wait times. Most of the time, different characters still have the same 'flow' in terms of their combos, and the only difference is the buttons pressed. For example, I've found that a wait time of 120-140 works between the hits of most strings for most characters, and the same or slightly longer time works for special cancelling a string. Even better if someone has already made a script for your character, you can look at their wait times and get an idea of what to do in your script.

The first script you ever make will be your hardest. It gets easier and easier the more of them you do, and eventually you'll develop an intuition for what the timing of a combo is.

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madmax4 View Post
    how do u make it so instead of pressing forward and the combo button to make the combo work, that u press back instead. this was done in injustice combos and it was a lot easier because your going to be blocking (back) more than moving forward. so u can still hold the block button to counter the players and wont get punished too much for moving forward before the combo risking a hit from the other player did i make any sense lol.
    Alternatively, you can simply reverse the BACK and FORWARD commands in the combo, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Coz consider that you will want 'offensive' combos, and 'defensive punish' combos depending on the game (depending on how you approach it). Combos that you want to use when you are pressuring/rushing the opponent should retain the press forward + button to activate.

The ones that you want to use when backing away, rather than make the whole script work only one way its easier to simply just reverse the left/right button inputs for that one combo only, then you can have it both ways.

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

I'll add a little bit to this. The most important bit of knowledge everyone should have when determining combo timings is what numbers constitute normal human-like input. The reason for this is obvious: games are made for HUMAN levels of input and reaction. Despite how crazy good some professional players are, their inputs are still human and will have certain levels of delay that numbers cannot drop under.

As a general note:

1) 1000 wait is 1 second in real time

2) A human button press is anywhere between 40-70 wait, you can't go wrong with using 50

3) Street Fighter styled cancels are around 80-100 wait, you can't go wrong with using 100 as these games do not reduce the special move's startup if you change the cancel window timing

4) NRS games (Mortal Kombat etc) generally use 50 wait as NRS' engine allows you to fully buffer a move WELL in advance. If it fails to execute, then use 100 wait

5) Most fast normals generally animate around 250-400... heavy hitting normals around 500-700. YMMV depending on the game of course but these numbers can be good starting numbers to use if you intend to wait for a move to fully animate in general.

6) Most game engines IGNORE wait times under 20... try not to ever go that low, there is no reason to ever really have to as once again, game engines are designed for HUMAN input.

Determining the proper wait values via trial and error can often frustrate a lot of people after you've adjusted wait times many times and something still fails to work, so hopefully the above examples help. In general, the easiest thing to do when trying to create a sequence of moves is to make it so that the entire sequence FULLY ANIMATES WITHOUT CAN​CELS. That way you can see all your intended moves play out one by one, and then reduce the timing windows in between until the combo works the way you want.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to KS212 For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

a question with this that really means

PS4_RX (right stick button?))> (Higher value?) 80 (refers to the angle?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast