Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to Make a Fighting Game Script -- Video Tutorial with MK11

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

How to Make a Fighting Game Script -- Video Tutorial with MK11

With the release of MK11 and its custom variations, I decided it was time to try and make a guide on how to make fighting game scripts. Since custom variations allow for potentially thousands of different combinations, there's no guarantee your favorite variation will ever get its own script, so I thought now would be a better time than ever to try and help people learn how to make their own. This is my first time ever trying to make a video of any kind, so I apologize in advance for the amateur quality.

I'd like to briefly go over who this tutorial is for first. I intended it to be used by people who already have a basic understanding of GPC. By that I mean that you know things like:
    - what the main and combo sections are
    - basic GPC commands like get_val, combo_run, event_press, set_val, etc. and what they do
    - know what an "if" statement is
    That should be all you need to know to follow along with the video. If you are a complete beginner and don't know any of those things, there are several other resources you can use to get there:

The CronusMax 'GPC Script Programming Support' subforum has many tutorials posted in its stickies:
    https://cronusmax.com/forums/forumdi...amming-Support

The CronusMax manual also has a GPC guide. This gives an in-depth guide to everything you can do with GPC (the programming language used by the CronusMax), and provides example scripts for you to play with as well:
    https://cronusmax.com/manual/gpc_gui...%3D%3D&mw=MzIw

Here are the two example combo start/stop expressions I mentioned in the video:

And finally, here is the script I made in the video itself:

Enjoy! If you've never made a script before, hopefully this will help you to make your first. If you have any questions about the process not mentioned in the video, ask them below.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to justframe For This Useful Post:

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Re: How to Make a Fighting Game Script -- Video Tutorial with MK11

Great video. Hopefully this teaches more people 'how to fish' so they don't keep asking for fishes, and everyone benefits.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KS212 For This Useful Post:

The GPC Godfather

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justframe View Post
    With the release of MK11 and its custom variations, I decided it was time to try and make a guide on how to make fighting game scripts. Since custom variations allow for potentially thousands of different combinations, there's no guarantee your favorite variation will ever get its own script, so I thought now would be a better time than ever to try and help people learn how to make their own. This is my first time ever trying to make a video of any kind, so I apologize in advance for the amateur quality.
    Outstanding job justframe

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

Great thread, deserve to be sticky!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LEX LOST For This Useful Post:

GOLD NOVA III

User Info Menu

how do u make it so instead of pressing forward and the combo button to make the combo work, that u press back instead. this was done in injustice combos and it was a lot easier because your going to be blocking (back) more than moving forward. so u can still hold the block button to counter the players and wont get punished too much for moving forward before the combo risking a hit from the other player did i make any sense lol.

The GPC Godfather

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madmax4 View Post
    how do u make it so instead of pressing forward and the combo button to make the combo work, that u press back instead. this was done in injustice combos and it was a lot easier because your going to be blocking (back) more than moving forward. so u can still hold the block button to counter the players and wont get punished too much for moving forward before the combo risking a hit from the other player did i make any sense lol.
    Reverse this part from:

// Determine Back and Forward
    if(get_val(RIGHT)) {
    back = LEFT; forward = RIGHT;
    } else if(get_val(LEFT)) {
    back = RIGHT; forward = LEFT;
    }//----------------------------------------------

To:

if(get_val(RIGHT)) {

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Batts For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

Thank you for the tutorial it is exactly what I have been looking for. I have 1 question when I am in the GPC compiler and go to transfer the script to the programmer I get the message ERROR: Syntax error, unexpected IF ('if'), expecting ')' on line 2 column 0. I see in the video you have this error as well. However, when I go to transfer the script it will not let me and I get a error sound. Is there something in the settings I need to change to allow me to transfer it over as you do to test? Thanks again!

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Juice6121 View Post
    Thank you for the tutorial it is exactly what I have been looking for. I have 1 question when I am in the GPC compiler and go to transfer the script to the programmer I get the message ERROR: Syntax error, unexpected IF ('if'), expecting ')' on line 2 column 0. I see in the video you have this error as well. However, when I go to transfer the script it will not let me and I get a error sound. Is there something in the settings I need to change to allow me to transfer it over as you do to test? Thanks again!
    Do you mean the combo start/stop commands I posted? those only work in a script that has already been converted to data. Once you've converted a script to data, copy/paste those in the places I mention in the video. Otherwise, when first creating a script you should use the standard "if(get_val() combo_run (mycombo)" format to start and stop your combos.

GOLD NOVA III

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Batts View Post
    Reverse this part from:

if(get_val(RIGHT)) {

To:

if(get_val(RIGHT)) {
    thank you man appreciate it

14. The Following User Says Thank You to madmax4 For This Useful Post:

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madmax4 View Post
    Alternatively, you can simply reverse the BACK and FORWARD commands in the combo, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Coz consider that you will want 'offensive' combos, and 'defensive punish' combos depending on the game (depending on how you approach it). Combos that you want to use when you are pressuring/rushing the opponent should retain the press forward + button to activate.

The ones that you want to use when backing away, rather than make the whole script work only one way its easier to simply just reverse the left/right button inputs for that one combo only, then you can have it both ways.

GOLD NOVA III

User Info Menu

thank you so much for this video should help this fighting community grow the more scrips the better.

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

This is just brilliant from start to finish... You Sir are a saint.

Community Boss

User Info Menu

This is what the Cronus Community is all about!!!

Bravo Sir

SILVER III

User Info Menu

okay been at this for like 5 hours im on ps4 did all the steps fine and everything the combo works up until the last button which is r1, the combo worked perfectly fine r1 and all until i converted it into data now theres never an r1 input in data and instead it presses share button, i cannot figure out why its doing this for anything in the world been at it for hours trynna figure it out the problem seems to be around line 92 .please help

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aye_richard View Post
    okay been at this for like 5 hours im on ps4 did all the steps fine and everything the combo works up until the last button which is r1, the combo worked perfectly fine r1 and all until i converted it into data now theres never an r1 input in data and instead it presses share button, i cannot figure out why its doing this for anything in the world been at it for hours trynna figure it out the problem seems to be around line 92 .please help
    Next time you post a script, make sure to put GPC wrappers around it so its easier to copy/paste. Just click the icon marked "GPC" above the message box and paste the script in-between the wrappers.

The problem is the wait times you are using. If you go into CronusPro and look through all the warnings given at the bottom of the screen, you'll see these errors:
    WARNING: The value (280) of the data entry found on line 92 column 2 is 16-bit, this causes the indexes to be slightly off after this point (+1)
    WARNING: The value (1000) of the data entry found on line 95 column 2 is 16-bit, this causes the indexes to be slightly off after this point (+1)
    WARNING: The value (280) of the data entry found on line 151 column 2 is 16-bit, this causes the indexes to be slightly off after this point (+1)
    WARNING: The value (1000) of the data entry found on line 153 column 0 is 16-bit, this causes the indexes to be slightly off after this point (+1)
    Simply put these wait times (2.8 seconds and 10 seconds) are too long. I didn't mention this since it rarely comes up in fighting game scripts but wait times longer than 2 seconds won't work when you convert to data. If you need them to be this long, there is a simple fix. Just put several smaller wait times right next to each other like this:
    2,DOWN,BACK,
    1,BACK,
    2,BACK,
    BTN1,
    1,BTN1,
    1,BTN5,
    EOC,
    Here I only set it to wait for 3 seconds at the end of the combo instead of 10, but if you had it set to 10 seconds for a specific purpose, just add 7 more "0,100," lines at the end of the combos.

Here's your script with the errors removed:

21. The Following User Says Thank You to justframe For This Useful Post:

SILVER III

User Info Menu

lol wooooow thanks so much bro! im a dumbass lmao appreciate that alot man keep up the good work!

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

how do I make a script to hold forward while I press a button then let go of forward. for example if I wanted to walk forward then press 4 then stop walking forward.

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

how do I make a script to hold forward while I press a button then let go of forward. for example if I wanted to walk forward then press 4 then stop walking forward.
    Something like that?

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Fwak For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

The video is down :-( anyone have a backup?

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

It's down because the channel I used to upload it was banned for some reason(Google won't tell me why). I'm trying to appeal the ban so hopefully the video will come back but if not I will see about reuploading it to a different site. Does anyone know of any other good sites for uploading videos?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justframe For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Juice6121 For This Useful Post:

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Nope, seems all good to me, nice work.

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

I have one more question, sorry. I am trying to add down on the right stick to add another corner combo. I have gotten it all timed and working and figured out how to add the stick but the combo only goes part way through then stops. Any idea why this is? I have a decimal on line 202 in the timing is this what is causing it?

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

I have one more question, sorry. I am trying to add down on the right stick to add another corner combo. I have gotten it all timed and working and figured out how to add the stick but the combo only goes part way through then stops. Any idea why this is? I have a decimal on line 202 in the timing is this what is causing it?

No it's not because of the decimal, because it's just gets rounded up or down anyways (I think).

but i think it's because you have so much wait time, try not to go over 200MS or something like that but if you need all that wait time do in increments of 100MS
    like..

so i went ahead and adjusted it for you anyways.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Fwak For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

thanks dude i'm so happy you should us how to do this

SILVER III

User Info Menu

okay so i got all this down, how do i add on more combos on other buttons, etc

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aye_richard View Post
    okay so i got all this down, how do i add on more combos on other buttons, etc
    Depends what buttons you want to add them to or stick.

Eg. for right stick.

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

How would I set a script to turn on and run on a loop until I press another button? I am trying to make one to run towers while we sleep.

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

you could just do something like "if(get_val(PS4_RX) < 80 combo_run (mycombo);". That will tell the script to run the combo as long as you aren't pushing the right stick right.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to justframe For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE MASTER

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justframe View Post

I'd like to briefly go over who this tutorial is for first. I intended it to be used by people who already have a basic understanding of GPC. By that I mean that you know things like:
    - what the main and combo sections are
    - basic GPC commands like get_val, combo_run, event_press, set_val, etc. and what they do
    - know what an "if" statement is
    That should be all you need to know to follow along with the video. If you are a complete beginner and don't know any of those things, there are several other resources you can use to get there:

The CronusMax 'GPC Script Programming Support' subforum has many tutorials posted in its stickies:
    https://cronusmax.com/forums/forumdi...amming-Support

The CronusMax manual also has a GPC guide. This gives an in-depth guide to everything you can do with GPC (the programming language used by the CronusMax), and provides example scripts for you to play with as well:
    https://cronusmax.com/manual/gpc_gui...%3D%3D&mw=MzIw

Here are the two example combo start/stop expressions I mentioned in the video:

And finally, here is the script I made in the video itself:

Enjoy! If you've never made a script before, hopefully this will help you to make your first. If you have any questions about the process not mentioned in the video, ask them below.
    How do I change combo runs? Like instead of using R stick, I wanna use Triangle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast