Topic: Combo Builder - Adjustable Delay Times (on-the-fly)

The GPC Godfather

User Info Menu

Combo Builder - Adjustable Delay Times (on-the-fly)

Anyone that has tried to write combos for fighting games knows that working out the timing of a combo string can take forever. Sometimes 10 or 20 ms is all it takes for a combo to either work or drop. This leads to a lot of changing values in the script, hitting build & run, test new timing, stop the script, edit values....rinse and repeat.

I wrote this script sometime back while I was playing a lot of Injustice 2. It's a little clunky and could use updating. What it will allow you to do is:
    • change delay times between button presses on-the-fly
    • immediately test the new delay times without having to stop the script
    • run only portions of a combo or the entire combo while sorting out the times
    • move back and forth between the adjustable wait times to edit the values

You'll need to be familiar with the Device Monitor and the format used by Excalibur's Script Manipulator. It takes a little while to get use to, but it certainly helped me in cutting down the time developing combos.

Instructions are in the top. Let me know if you have issues or questions.

When compiled you will recieve this warning -

WARNING: using set_pvar in a while loop may end up shortening the lifespan of your CronusMAX Plus... you can ignore this warning if you know what you're doing...

You can place and save a total of 16 adjustable wait times. I use the while loop so that only the actual number of AWT's in the combo will be saved. This will keep from writing unused values to the EEPROM.

In other words, I know what I'm doing

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Batts For This Useful Post:

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Re: Combo Builder - Adjustable Delay Times (on-the-fly)

How do you change the actiavtion when pressed it starts the combo and when pressed again it ends the combo?

The GPC Godfather

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OGxSuave View Post
    How do you change the actiavtion when pressed it starts the combo and when pressed again it ends the combo?
    This is just to work out the timing (delays) of a combo string. Once you have them set, you need to write the values down and insert them where the AWT is and move the combo to another script.

Click RS/R3 to run the combo. It will run from the first value to the position set. Could be the first couple of commands or the entire combo. Instructions are inside...

GOLD NOVA II

User Info Menu

Amazing work as always brother, I'll test it out but I have gotten rather used to just adjusting delays by eyeballing :P thank god theres one thing that making complex macros taught me over the years and thats timing aha.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aesee For This Useful Post:

Support Staff

User Info Menu

Amazing.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fadexz For This Useful Post:

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Hey, pretty good! This will help a lot of new users get things going as working out basic timing is usually one of the most daunting things.

You'll find that once you have acquired some combo making experience you will start instinctively 'understand' a combo's timing simply by watching the thing play out. Your head will develop an innate sense for the startup, animation duration, recovery, etc and you'll be able to make pretty damn good educated guesses after a while. The fact most fighting games provide extremely detailed frame data too is invaluable, as that tells you EXACTLY what the times are, no guesses needed at all.

Until then though for 'first timers' this is an excellent tool

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KS212 For This Useful Post:

The GPC Godfather

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KS212 View Post
    Hey, pretty good! This will help a lot of new users get things going as working out basic timing is usually one of the most daunting things.

You'll find that once you have acquired some combo making experience you will start instinctively 'understand' a combo's timing simply by watching the thing play out. Your head will develop an innate sense for the startup, animation duration, recovery, etc and you'll be able to make pretty damn good educated guesses after a while. The fact most fighting games provide extremely detailed frame data too is invaluable, as that tells you EXACTLY what the times are, no guesses needed at all.

Until then though for 'first timers' this is an excellent tool
    Where I find it useful is when working on an extreme long combo string. The ability to run only portions of the combo and fine-tune those times are (for me) really helpful. I hate it when you have the timing almost worked out except for 1 little sequence. Depending on where it is in the string, you start chaining times and it can have a domino effect. Portions that were working start to fall apart...

If I weren't old and slow, I was probably just use MAX Combo and use the data from there.

I have written a script or two for fighting games. Here's one I did a while back for Injustice 2...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Batts For This Useful Post:

GOLD NOVA IV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Batts View Post
    Where I find it useful is when working on an extreme long combo string. The ability to run only portions of the combo and fine-tune those times are (for me) really helpful. I hate it when you have the timing almost worked out except for 1 little sequence. Depending on where it is in the string, you start chaining times and it can have a domino effect. Portions that were working start to fall apart...
    Hah. I'm old and slow and I totally know what you mean. Tho I get around the falling apart bit by simply splitting my GPC inputs into blocks with spaces between. I also do it segment by segment and make sure that the timing from the previous block does not overlap. Doing it that way basically prevents the issue of everything being global delay dependent.

When I started making combos I just used Max Combo as writing out manual inputs was daunting. After a bit of cleaning I realized it was faster (once you get 'familiar' in the way I mentioned in my post above) to just write out the inputs in blocks. Besides, only NRS game engines have the problem (or 'feature'... pfft) of letting you buffer entire frigging strings with over 400ms ahead of time... NO OTHER GAME engine does that, you have to cancel RIGHT on the hit window, which is just perfectly fine as that alone prevents the timings running too far behind or ahead.

To date I still think NRS' engine sucks balls. They are the only ones that horribly bad. Did you know they're still using a completely cooked version of Unreal Engine 3? THREE ffs... No wonder its pure shit.

GOLD NOVA III

User Info Menu

HEY CAN U SHOW A VIDEO HOW THIS WORKS LOL

15. The Following User Says Thank You to madmax4 For This Useful Post:

Cronus Zen User

User Info Menu

Oh this looks interesting. Really lost on how to use it though lol