Topic: Would like a GPC remapper script to get NeGcon PS1 controller working on PS3 & PS4

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

Would like a GPC remapper script to get NeGcon PS1 controller working on PS3 & PS4

Hello,

I produce tutorial videos on Youtube that have to do with old school video game controllers, and I have plans to do a presentation (the channel is "Wired-Up Retro") on getting the Namco NeGcon steering controller (a compact PS One gamepad that twists in the center) fully working to play Playstation 3 and 4 games. This was a rather popular controller to play racing games like Ridge Racer and Wipeout with back in the mid and late-90s, and there are still a good number of fans who would like to use it to play the PS3 and PS4 racing games- including the latest Wipeout and Gran Turismo games.

I have managed to use the Cronusmax Plus to play a good number of Playstation 3 racing games by connecting to a PC (a very old laptop that I have) and using Direct Input along with X-aim plug-in within a PC running the Cronusmax Pro software. The method I'm using is to plug my NeGcon into an old RadioShack "PSX->USB" adapter that goes into my laptop's USB port. Then I plug into my PC's second USB port a USB to miniUSB cord and connect that to the program port of my Cronusmax Plus that then gets plugged into my PS3. I get about a third of a second lag by using this method, and I wonder if it has to do with the 2007 laptop that I'm using... or maybe it's just normal when setting things up like this.

Anyway, I want my viewers to have a way to play their PS3 and PS4 racing games without having to use a laptop as a passthrough via Direct Input working in CronusMax Pro running X-aim (not only to reduce the complexity, but also to hopefully cut the lag down a bit more). I have tried the following method to see if it works: NeGcon to RadioShack PSX->USB adapter to CronusMax Plus to PS3. Unfortunately, there are issues that have to do with how specific controller functions are mapped to specific buttons on the NeGcon controller when it's connected to my PS3.

To solve problems, I need a button remapper GPC script that does the following:

1) Remap what the PS3 sees as the Dual Shock 3 L2 and R2 buttons to what the controller would put out as the Dual Shock 3's left analog stick Down and Up directionals- L2 mapped to Down, and R2 being mapped to Up (thus making the PS3 no longer see the L2 or the R2 buttons of a regular Dual Shock 3 controller as L2 and R2 anymore).

2) Remap what the PS3 sees as the Dual Shock 3 Select button to what the controller would put out as the Dual Shock 3's right analog stick's horizontal left or right directionals. (thus making the PS3 no longer see the right stick horizontal movement of a regular Dual Shock 3 controller as right stick horizontal movement anymore).

3) Remap what the PS3 sees as the Dual Shock 3 Circle button to what the controller would put out as the Dual Shock 3 L2 button.

If someone could help me out with this script, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I try this script and notice any further issues, I am hoping that you'd be willing to help out with adjustments...

There's one more question that I have. Does the Cronusmax Plus allow for simultaneously pressing of 2 buttons input? In other words, if I want to get the PS3 to recognize a triangle press when the controller's D-pad is pressed up at the same time the square button is pressed, could that be done? If so, please include that in the script. Thanks much!

Be assured, I will give credit to anyone who lends a hand with this!

*Edited this evening (7/22/2019) for the purpose of correcting errors I had made with the original posting earlier today concerning specific button substitutions.*

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

Re: Would like a GPC remapper script to get NeGcon PS1 controller working on PS3 & PS

Okay- since there have been no responses, I'll get looking into what I can do with the Max Mapper plugin in Cronus Pro.

It couldn't be all that hard to configure it, right?!

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

Re: Would like a GPC remapper script to get NeGcon PS1 controller working on PS3 & PS

Well, the Max Mapper is allowing buttons to be swapped, but the left analog Y function (tipping the left thumbstick up and down) is not able to be applied to the L2 trigger when it's positive and R2 trigger when it's negative. Because of this issue, I cannot come up with a script that is effective for this project. Does anyone have a better script-producing program which will allow for splitting the positive and negative up and down positions of the thumbstick into two separate trigger actions for two separate functions?

I really would hate to have to give up on this endeavor...

Edit (7/25/2019): I now have a working GPC script. The wife (who has a computer science degree) and my son spent some time working on it this morning- I was amazed. Will put the link to the presentation here if any of you are interested. Probably will be up next week.

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accelerator View Post
    Well, the Max Mapper is allowing buttons to be swapped, but the left analog Y function (tipping the left thumbstick up and down) is not able to be applied to the L2 trigger when it's positive and R2 trigger when it's negative. Because of this issue, I cannot come up with a script that is effective for this project. Does anyone have a better script-producing program which will allow for splitting the positive and negative up and down positions of the thumbstick into two separate trigger actions for two separate functions?

I really would hate to have to give up on this endeavor...

Edit (7/25/2019): I now have a working GPC script. The wife (who has a computer science degree) and my son spent some time working on it this morning- I was amazed. Will put the link to the presentation here if any of you are interested. Probably will be up next week.
    Correction: The adjusted script only got the accelerator remapped successfully (though sometimes it takes a second to register that I pressed that accelerator button to get going, which is slightly frustrating). The real problem is that the brake is not working...

Any help would be appreciated, because I think we're stuck.

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

Okay, got a very good idea from Batts over in the "Request a GPC Script" forum, and the NeGcon is now working correctly on my PS3 racing games (and soon on the Xbox One and PS4). The compact little controller offers really nice analog gas and brake functions as well as analog steering- So cool!

Once the video is up, I'll be sure to provide a link so you can see this in action.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Accelerator For This Useful Post:

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear you didn't get an answer, but it's amazing to see that you found out about doing it yourself! Unfortunately, I don't play racing games or anything close to it, so I have no knowledge of your requests

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ItzSnack For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

Alright, I have completed the Namco NeGcon GPC scripts that work on the PS3. These scripts will also work with other PS1 racing controllers/steering wheels including the UltraRacer and the Logic3 Top Drive Reactor, but I've optimized these codes for use with the NeGcon. Will be checking out how my scripts work on PS4 racing games a little later today.

There are 5 scripts. The 1st one allows for gas and brake to be on the two front analog "plunger" buttons. On the left shoulder button is the select button. The Right shoulder button is an alternate gas (accelerator), in case you get tired of pressing your thumb for gas on the front analog plunger button (but be aware that the NeGcon's right shoulder button is actually just a digital button, as opposed to analog). The d-pad up and down can be used for changing gears up and down (if you map it that way in your in-game menu), while the d-pad left and right actions are square and circle. If your game has an in-game menu that requires right or left movement, just use the left and right twist function of the controller for that. On the face of the controller (right side) are the A and B buttons and I mapped them as X and Triangle, respectively.

The second script has the right and left shoulder buttons as square and circle, and that opens up the d-pad to have normal d-pad left, right, up, and down functions (though, you now have no way to press Select). Another thing worth noting about both of these scripts is that the right shoulder not only provides a circle button press, but also doubles as gas (R2). Some games have a speed boost or nitro, so if your game has your nitro or speed boost mapped for the circle button, you can access it and it will also access your gas at the same time. If you're playing a racing game that has no speed boost or nitro, then just don't map any action to the circle button, and you can just use the NeGcon left shoulder button for acceleration only.

The 3rd code is the same as the second code, but I put the L1 and R1 actions on the left and right d-pad. Again, if your game has a menu that requires some left or right movement, just use the NeGcon's left and right twist function for that.

The last two scripts (#4 and #5) are for people who want more of a conventional Dual Shock controller setup (which definitely would be the best way to play Wipeout Pure or Wipeout Fusion).

In script #4 the d-pad is fully functional in all directions. The shoulder buttons do the action of L2 and R2 (with the right not being analog, but digital). The four face buttons on the right side of the controller serve as X, Square, Triangle, and Circle as you'd find on a Dual Shock controller.

Script #5 is the same as #4, except that I placed L1 and R1 on d-pad left and right (which will then require you to twist right or left on the controller when needing to go left or right in the in-game menus). This might be the best script for games that have weapons, left and right airbrakes, as well as a need to press an accelerator (the Wipeout games).

Will be making a video presentation about this soon, and will be sure to leave a link here when it's completed.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Accelerator For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

Scripts 4 and 5 (the Dual Shock layout scripts that have brake on the NeGcon's left shoulder button (analog response) and gas on the right shoulder button (digital response)) have now been combined into a single script that has a toggle that lets you switch between the two codes by pressing Start and Up simultaneously. Thanks goes to CrispyCroco for accomplishing that. The script is also now shortened which is nice.

So I am now calling that 4/5 combo script "The NeGcon Arcade Racer Script" and it will be listed as the 1st script of 4 total NeGcon scripts.

The other 3 scripts are all about using the NeGcon's Roman numeral I and II analog buttons on the face of the controller for brake and gas (what the game systems see as L2 and R2), which makes them the ideal scripts for the more technical Sim racers. (the scripts also have the right shoulder button as an alternative gas button.) These scripts will each be labeled "The NeGcon Sim Racer Script" that are delineated with numbers 1 through 3.

My video is in production, and it turned out to last around 19 minutes. I will also put up a second video or two that have to do with the button mappings that each script is comprised of and advice on setting up the in-game button mappings for various popular games like Wipeout Omega, Redout, Gran Turismo Sport, MotoRacer 4, Forza 6, VRally 4, and possibly others (maybe Fuel, Sonic Team Racing, and Wipeout Pure for the PS3).

I have my work cut out for me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Accelerator For This Useful Post:

Support Staff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accelerator View Post
    Scripts 4 and 5 (the Dual Shock layout scripts that have brake on the NeGcon's left shoulder button (analog response) and gas on the right shoulder button (digital response)) have now been combined into a single script that has a toggle that lets you switch between the two codes by pressing Start and Up simultaneously. Thanks goes to CrispyCroco for accomplishing that. The script is also now shortened which is nice.

So I am now calling that 4/5 combo script "The NeGcon Arcade Racer Script" and it will be listed as the 1st script of 4 total NeGcon scripts.

The other 3 scripts are all about using the NeGcon's Roman numeral I and II analog buttons on the face of the controller for brake and gas (what the game systems see as L2 and R2), which makes them the ideal scripts for the more technical Sim racers. (the scripts also have the right shoulder button as an alternative gas button.) These scripts will each be labeled "The NeGcon Sim Racer Script" that are delineated with numbers 1 through 3.

My video is in production, and it turned out to last around 19 minutes. I will also put up a second video or two that have to do with the button mappings that each script is comprised of and advice on setting up the in-game button mappings for various popular games like Wipeout Omega, Redout, Gran Turismo Sport, MotoRacer 4, Forza 6, VRally 4, and possibly others (maybe Fuel, Sonic Team Racing, and Wipeout Pure for the PS3).

I have my work cut out for me.
    Would like to see the videos posted here if you don't mind Reminds me of when I started scripted in GPC.
    Didn't know much at first, but caught on enough with other's help to make what I needed to race, but haven't had much time for racing lately though.

Really great work, keep it up!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Picklock For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

The 4 NeGcon Racing Game Scripts are now up in the library. Just search the word "NeGcon" to find them.

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

Got the video presentation up this morning. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/eOPplWrKIwM

In the video's description I included a couple of game problems that I encountered having to do with the Xbox One game V-Rally 4 and the PS4 game, MotoRacer 4. If you encounter any issues with other games be sure to let me know in the comments of the video. Thanks.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Accelerator For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

A couple days ago, I had thought MotoRacer 4 for the PS4 wasn't going to work right with any of my scripts because it has no in-game remapping feature.

In the video I mentioned that you want to NOT have R3 or L3 (which do thumbstick click-in actions) assigned to any in-game action. In Motoracer 4 for the PS4 the game doesn't allow you to change button mapping at all. After pressing the brake once in a while, it puts you into a reverse-view that persists thanks to R3 remaining mapped to the controller. Today I came upon the solution: Go to the PS4 Settings menu and click 'Accessibilty' and then Button Assignment. You'll want to place R3 on dpad-left and place dpad-left on R3. (Don't worry- you can still go left and right in menu navigation by twisting the wheel accordingly.) This video can be of help: https://youtu.be/eEuy0S-jTBA

Motoracer 4 is a very awesome game when played with the NeGcon... So much better than pushing a thumbstick back and forth.

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

After a couple days testing things out with Motoracer 4, I found that remapping the R3 button to d-pad left and d-pad left to R3 was causing an issue that would show up sometimes but not all the time, so I tried a different remap. This worked better: reassign L3 to be R3 and R3 to be L3.

There are no strange issues happening now, and the game is working perfectly.

Also, be aware that you can go anytime to the Settings under device (bluetooth controller) and specify that you want to have this special button mapping applied by checkmarking the box within the "button assignment" category, or just uncheckmark the box if you want the controller to go back to normal button mapping.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Accelerator For This Useful Post:

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

I've updated the four scripts now to have a PS button (Xbox Guide button) that's accessed by simultaneously pressing the NeGcon Start button and dpad down. So now you don't have to unplug the racing controller and plug in your Sony or Microsoft controller every time you want to get out of your game and play something else.

I also have all the scripts shortened considerably (thanks for the assistance Batts and Crispy Croco) and they work just as well as they did before.

Another thing that I did was to add to the description of each script a bit more information including the link to the Ytube tutorial I had made.

I think I'm pretty satisfied with the scripts at this point. I enjoyed testing them out on my PS4 last night with GT Sport and Wipeout Omega.

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

I've put up a follow-up video that has to do with all the handheld racing controller options available to PS4 racing fans (including the implementation of the Cronusmax Plus to get PS1, 2, and 3 racing controllers working on the PS4). Check it out here: https://youtu.be/jNerInSQ2MU

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Accelerator For This Useful Post:

Tags for this Topic