Topic: Guide to running Zen Studio on macOS via Parallels

Cronus Zen User

User Info Menu

Guide to running Zen Studio on macOS via Parallels

If you would like to know some information about my System Specs and the version of Parallels that I am running, scroll to the bottom of my post.

When you first install and run the Parallels app, the setup process starts automatically preparing to create a VM (Virtual Machine) and walks you through what it needs you to do, it does most of it for you. After the setup is completed it will ask if you want to “Use Windows from Boot Camp”.

If you skip the Boot Camp option, or you don’t have Boot Camp set up, it’ll ask you if you want to “Download and Install Windows”. That’s the simplest of the two, it just takes a little more time. Parallels downloads Windows, completely installs it, and installs Parallels Tools all at once. The only thing it doesn’t include is a Windows License.

Attachment 6806Attachment 6799

Use Windows from Boot Camp:

If you decided to “Use Windows from Boot Camp” you will need to install the “Parallels Tools” software in the Virtual Machine. (I don’t recall whether it told me to or not.)

There are a few ways to do this, one option is to click the yellow caution sign on the far right of the VM’s Title Bar and then click “Install Parallels Tools” from a short list that appears. The second option is to click “Actions” on the Menu Bar and click “Install Parallels Tools”. If the tools are already installed “Reinstall Parallels Tools” will be shown instead and the Caution Sign will not be there.

Attachment 6804

Verifying Settings:

When the setup is finished, you may want to verify a few settings. Check the PVM’s Configuration, in this case it’s ‘“Boot Camp” Configuration”.
    To do this, first open the Parallels Control Center, this can be done a couple of ways, the easiest would probably be to Right click / hold Control and Click with your Mouse on the “Parallels Desktop” Icon in your Dock.

Attachment 6803

Click the Cog/Gear Icon and select Options inside the PVM’s Configuration.

Attachment 6802

Make sure “Share Mac user folders” is ticked, then click on “Configure…”.

Attachment 6797

You can tick any of the “user folders” that you want, I recommend “Desktop” and “Downloads”.

Attachment 6801

This will make it much easier locate and access the ZenStudio files that you downloaded via your Mac’s Web-Browser and open it inside the Windows VM.

The Zen and other USB Devices:

When you connect your Zen (and other devices) to your Mac while the VM is active you should be asked where to connect it. Select your Windows VM. You can tick remember my choice if you’d like.

Attachment 6805

If you are having problems with your Zen connecting to your VM or you want devices to connect to your VM automatically, you can configure the VM to do so.
    In the “USB Connection Preferences” change - “Ask me what to do” to “Connect it to the active virtual machine”

Attachment 6800

You can also permanently assign the devices.
    Click the +, then select the Target Device and Machine (Mac or a VM). You'll need to double click the names or the editing pencil to show to dropdown list. The editing pencil will show the "Devices" dropdown list, pressing tab will switch it to the "Connect To" list.

When everything is ready, your files are downloaded, and the Zen is plugged in, you launch Zen Studio like you would on a standard Windows PC.

Launch/Open the program and you should be good to go.

Attachment 6807

Attachment 6808

System Info

macOS Catalina
    Version: 10.15.1
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
    Processor: 2.6 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7
    Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    StartupDisk: macOS
    Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB / AMD Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB

Parallels Desktop® 15 for Mac
    Home Edition
    Version 15.1.2 (47123)

This is my first time doing something like this. I didn’t realize how difficult it could be, determining the words I'd use and what to include was tough.
    I hope that it turned out okay and proves useful for anyone who needs it.
    Feel free to let me know if there is need of any further details. I’ll do my best to help when I can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SirSaywer For This Useful Post:

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

Re: Guide to running Zen Studio on macOS via Parallels

Great, thanks SirSaywer

4. The Following User Says Thank You to noozbar For This Useful Post:

Community Boss

User Info Menu

Awesome, thanks!

Cronus Zen User

User Info Menu

Parallels works great and tested VMware Fusion in combination Windows 10 also on MacOS, Zen Studio and firmware update tool works also flawless with the new Zen.

So for Mac users you can both use Parallels and VMware Fusion to run Windows and use the Zen software.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to samplex For This Useful Post:

Community Boss

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by samplex View Post
    Parallels works great and tested VMware Fusion in combination Windows 10 also on MacOS, Zen Studio and firmware update tool works also flawless with the new Zen.

So for Mac users you can both use Parallels and VMware Fusion to run Windows and use the Zen software.
    Thanks for confirming - we're getting a few new users who like to use a MAC, this will help them out nicely

Support Staff

User Info Menu

Personally I use Bootcamp Assistant to run Windows natively, then I use Parallels to run it in a VM if I want to run MacOS and Windows at the same time in some cases while having access to all my data, which looks to be similar to what you do.

Very well made tutorial, nice work

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Awesome guide your work is appreciated.

I am running windows 10 through bootcamp myself. But my zen studio doesn't seem to open when I go to run it, even as admin with all security disabled. Sorry if this is not the right thread for this issue but I cannot register my zen in the studio to be able to verify and gain access to the private threads. any guidance would be awesome.

Thanks, J

SILVER II

User Info Menu

Great guide, Thanks

Community Boss

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JaredWyatt View Post
    Awesome guide your work is appreciated.

I am running windows 10 through bootcamp myself. But my zen studio doesn't seem to open when I go to run it, even as admin with all security disabled. Sorry if this is not the right thread for this issue but I cannot register my zen in the studio to be able to verify and gain access to the private threads. any guidance would be awesome.

Thanks, J
    Boot Camp guide is here

https://cronusmax.com/forums/showthr...sing-Boot-Camp

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxADMIN View Post
    Thanks for confirming - we're getting a few new users who like to use a MAC, this will help them out nicely
    hello I just got the Cronus max and I would like some help to install it on my MacBook Pro do u have any link to download the programs? I am not that expert in computer.

GOLD NOVA III

User Info Menu

Hello guys. I just got the Zen and I saw the Mac guide but it won't work for me. I have a Mac from 2009 and I'm running windows 7 through VMWare Fusion. I'm able to download and run the Cronusmax software and update all drivers for the Zen but the studio won't open at all. It shows as an active process but I cannot use it. Any tips?

SILVER I

User Info Menu

hello
    i need help downing the zen studios on mac please