Topic: PS4 Controller Randomly Turns Off - After firmware 2.0.5 update

Cronus Zen User

User Info Menu

Unhappy PS4 Controller Randomly Turns Off - After firmware 2.0.5 update

Description: PS4 DS4 v2
    Zen Studio Version: 1.0.4
    Zen Firmware Version: v2.0.5
    Platform Type / Version: Playstation 4 Pro

I recently updated both Zen device and Zen studio, now while playing mid game my controller shuts off or dies. Some times my character sprints forward own its own or spin round 360.

I have to disconnected both controller and Zen device and then plugin again, this random shut down happens again again and again.

This wasn't the case when setting up out of the box never had an issue until the first beta update, I noticed once Zen is plugged into PC for firmware update or program a script into it. Connecting back to the PS4 I start having issues.

Yes I have read the manual, I have followed the steps still having the same issue. I dont have any other console the controller might pair with it, I have unpaired and reconnected Zen again back and forth now its frustrating mid game controller it shuts off its become unusable.

I have changed cables same results, downgrade and upgraded again same issue. I' am about giving up on it.

in the past once I updated firmware or script into it and I had the issue. I unpair the controller turn off plugin zen on the rear port of the pro, then plugin my controller wired to A1 port then go into bluetooth device options and select forget and that fixed it but now its not working.

Can someone please walk me through the steps, I prefer playing wired than bluetooth. Thanks

UPDATE: Updated to 2.0.6 Now Zen device doesn't charge my ps4 controller connected wired.

SILVER I

User Info Menu

Re: PS4 Controller Randomly Turns Off - After firmware 2.0.5 update

I have the exact same issue after updating to the new firmware and also tried everything possible

SILVER I

User Info Menu

I have the same problem I already tired everything and nothing I can unplug the zen and put my remote back on ps4 and everything works fine so must have a bug on the new update

Cronus Zen User

User Info Menu

Well there is update firmware 2.0.6, that seems to have fixed the issue.

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

i have different issue i was playing fine yesterday on my ps4 now this morning when i power on ps4 by button on console then zen and controller ps4 doesn't response to any inputs

Cronus Zen User

User Info Menu

I would say follow the guide by unpairing your controller first, then have it connected to wired or bluetooth after

Cronus Zen User

User Info Menu

Have updated to 2.0.6 but Zen doesn't work like it did before. Sync issues on wired but Bluetooth is fine. I prefer playing wired since I play alot of FPS games, anyone else experiencing this issue too?

SILVER II

User Info Menu

I am on v2.0.6 and the issue still exists for me.. I have an original PS4 controller wired to A1. After like 10 mins or so controllers turns off, however while monitoring Device Control on the Zen Studio in parallel, the inputs are showing but they are not passed to the game... I am playing COD.

Cronus Zen User

User Info Menu

It's been a week and not support from anyone here, which is too bad. My Zen is just a mess has it is, at times it works most times it doesn't feels like paper weight at the moment. It would be nice to get some help, I'm sure alot people are in my situation.

Well let's see what happens if there is hoing to be a fix or not.

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

So PS4 v2 controller and PS4 console
    Have you tried plugging your controller into port A2 or A3?
    Have you tried plugging an official controller into A1 and your controller to play in A2 or A3?
    Use A1 for Auth controller, not to play your game.
    Is ZEN plugged into the back of your console? With short cable?
    Do you use your controller to turn on your console? (NEVER do that)

Cronus Zen User

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noozbar View Post
    So PS4 v2 controller and PS4 console
    Have you tried plugging your controller into port A2 or A3?
    Have you tried plugging an official controller into A1 and your controller to play in A2 or A3?
    Use A1 for Auth controller, not to play your game.
    Is ZEN plugged into the back of your console? With short cable?
    Do you use your controller to turn on your console? (NEVER do that)
    Yes I have tried everything to the letter. One thing I noticed was when I shut down my PS4 like I'm done playing, I disconnect the cable from my PS4 from the Zen I play wired. Because I got a little ones running around the house, then I turn ON the PS4 from the console not the controller then plug in my controller I start to have issues. This wasn't the case before upgrading to 2.0.5, before then I could disconnect and reconnect my controller wired to A1 at any point and don't have sync issues.

The walk around which seem to be working for me anyway, is to make sure my cables are connected. E.g ps4 controller connected to Zen then from Zen micro usb to the rear port of PS4 pro before I turn ON my console.

If I disconnect my controller at any point while playing instant to have issues, the only time I disconnect the cable is if my character starts looking up or controller shuts off I just assume my controller battery is full. I unplug my controller and connect to Zen via Bluetooth. Then the battery dies samething controller shuts off, I plugin my cable to the Zen it starts to work.

But from day 1 out of the box I never had this issue, of synch problems, controller shutting off while gaming. Zen doesn't work like it use to.

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

It's been a long time since I've played with a PS4 controller.
    I'll take a test tonight or tomorrow if I have time... (holidays, family at home ...)

At home, the USB cable is still plugged on the PS4, I just unplug the cable on the rear port of Zen.
    Then, I ALWAYS have an old DS4 V2 controller plugged in Zen A1 (left USB port), always
    My procedure is as follows:
    - I turn on the console with the button on the front.
    - when the console has finished booting up, I plug the USB cable from my console into the rear port of Zen.
    - wait 5 sec and then I plug the cable into my Elite controller and then plug the other side into the A2 or A3 port of Zen.
    - done, I can play hours without disconnection (I also play wired)

When I was playing with a PS4 v2 controller, I used to do it the same way

I imagine that you have removed the pairing of the controller in the console options and that you have chosen the WIRED method for the connection of the controller.
    You can also hold the reset button on the back of the controller for a few seconds.
    Personally, I always had a paper clip near me to press this button when I stopped playing, it allowed me to turn off the controller without having to hold down the PS button for 10 seconds, and at the same time, I was sure that the controller was reset for my next game session.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noozbar For This Useful Post:

Cronus Zen User

User Info Menu

I'll take a test tonight or tomorrow if I have time... (holidays, family at home ...)

At home, the USB cable is still plugged on the PS4, I just unplug the cable on the rear port of Zen.
    Then, I ALWAYS have an old DS4 V2 controller plugged in Zen A1 (left USB port), always
    - when the console has finished booting up, I plug the USB cable from my console into the rear port of Zen.
    - wait 5 sec and then I plug the cable into my Elite controller and then plug the other side into the A2 or A3 port of Zen.

I imagine that you have removed the pairing of the controller in the console options and that you have chosen the WIRED method for the connection of the controller.
    You can also hold the reset button on the back of the controller for a few seconds.
    Personally, I always had a paper clip near me to press this button when I stopped playing, it allowed me to turn off the controller without having to hold down the PS button for 10 seconds, and at the same time, I was sure that the controller was reset for my next game session.
    Yes I have done the unpair process, maybe I don't give it enough time like you said wait 5 seconds. I would try that, thanks for taking time out of your holidays to assist greatly appreciate it.

I would walk through the steps again, thanks for the advice.

SILVER ELITE

User Info Menu

Hi Noozbar,

Thanks for including your procedure.. it's quite useful! I have just two follow up questions:

1) Are you using a wired headset connected to your elite controller?
    2) If doing this procedure on an XBox one with the Elite Controller, do you still follow same procedure? (here, i'm expecting that you'd not connect the PS4 V2 controller into the A1 slot).

Thanks.

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusPrime View Post
    Hi Noozbar,

Thanks for including your procedure.. it's quite useful! I have just two follow up questions:

1) Are you using a wired headset connected to your elite controller?
    2) If doing this procedure on an XBox one with the Elite Controller, do you still follow same procedure? (here, i'm expecting that you'd not connect the PS4 V2 controller into the A1 slot).

Thanks.
    Yes, I can use a headset plugged directly into the controller.
    Sound's OK and the mic is working
    But I mainly use a USB headset plugged directly into the console...

And yes, I think you can do the same procedure, just replace the PS4 AUTH controller in A1 by an XBOX controller

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Infoseye View Post
    Yes I have done the unpair process, maybe I don't give it enough time like you said wait 5 seconds. I would try that, thanks for taking time out of your holidays to assist greatly appreciate it.

I would walk through the steps again, thanks for the advice.
    I've been playing with my second PS4 controller (instead of my Elite2 controller) for more than 25 minutes now and the controller has not disconnected from ZEN
    PS4 controller in A1 (AUTH) + wired PS4 controller in A3
    ZEN is also plugged on my PC to check Device Monitor at the same time

Did you disable the auto sleep mode of the controller in the console options?

Cronus Zen User

User Info Menu

I've been playing with my second PS4 controller (instead of my Elite2 controller) for more than 25 minutes now and the controller has not disconnected from ZEN
    PS4 controller in A1 (AUTH) + wired PS4 controller in A3
    ZEN is also plugged on my PC to check Device Monitor at the same time

Did you disable the auto sleep mode of the controller in the console options?
    I would have to check the auto sleep option, but I don't see why I need a second controller plugged in all the time.

So what usb port do I use to play wired ? A1 or A3? I know A1 is for Auth.

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

I would have to check the auto sleep option, but I don't see why I need a second controller plugged in all the time.

So what usb port do I use to play wired ? A1 or A3? I know A1 is for Auth.
    As I said, I always have an old "broken" DS4 connected to the A1

Wired, you should be able to play directly from A1 if console and controller match (PS4 console with wired DS4 controller)
    For more simplicity (IMO) I prefer to say A1 = AUTH and A2/A3 = gaming in all cases and all configurations

Cronus Zen User

User Info Menu

As I said, I always have an old "broken" DS4 connected to the A1

Wired, you should be able to play directly from A1 if console and controller match (PS4 console with wired DS4 controller)
    For more simplicity (IMO) I prefer to say A1 = AUTH and A2/A3 = gaming in all cases and all configurations

Okay got it....I have turned off auto sleep changed to Do Not Turn Off, then communication method Use USB Cable, does this mean If I choose to use Bluetooth later I have to change this option to bluetooth ?

Senior Support Staff

User Info Menu

Okay got it....I have turned off auto sleep changed to Do Not Turn Off, then communication method Use USB Cable, does this mean If I choose to use Bluetooth later I have to change this option to bluetooth ?
    No because you don't use console bluetooth but ZEN BT

Cronus Zen User

User Info Menu

No because you don't use console bluetooth but ZEN BT
    Thanks for clearing that out.